Possible new tank--weird size, thoughts please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Baron

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. First time poster long time lurker.

I have an opportunity to get a new tank, but a weird size of 40"x 10.5"x 20" which is about 39 gallons.

I;m concerned about the width (10.5").

Would I be able to use a tank like this for small GBR's (first choice) or apisto;s with tetras and cories.

I kind of like the size but am worried about the width.

This tank would never hold large fish....dont want them.

Any problems in stocking the following in this tank;

2 pairs of gbr

8 emperor tetra;s or 8 rummy nose

6 cory cats..type to be determined by higher temp needed for rams.

Heavily planted with wisteria and green cabomba with caves and driftwood.

With this stocking list, can I get away with HOB filters or is my bio load too much and require a smaller canister? I prefer hob;s. Less chance of flooding issues. I am away just about every weekend.

P.S. would this be classified a breeder tank or a grow out tank, or just a weird size?

Please advise.

Thanks for all your input,

Dan

Hi & welcome to AA!

That is definitely not a breeder tank. A breeder tank is normally shallow & wide, so are grow-out tanks. This one is narrow & tall, prob a custom job to fit a small space.

This is not the ideal tank for plants. The depth makes it difficult to light & the narrow width makes it difficult to scape ... your big 16-18" background plant is going to be touching the front .... A narrow & deep tank is going be a bit of a pain to clean as well.

I think the small fish you are planning should be OK. This tank is basically a 10 gal in width, so you need to find fish that will be comfy in a 10.

I am not sure why you find canister a flood risk. Properly set up, a good canister is more reliable than a HOB, and less maintenance to boot. I would go for a small canister just because of the tank depth. <And use a spray bar vertically to get at the tank bottom.> HOB's might not have enough oomph to circulate water from the depths of the tank to the top.

Hi jsoong. Appreciate the reply.

I agree that the width would make having plants difficult.
Regarding the cannister, I haeard too many people complain about leaking seals and coming home to find a flood.

Regarding the tank, its a kit I saw at our walmart. Good luck finding a stand to fit it as well.

Guess I keep looking.

Dan

Welcome to AA :) I've never heard anything bad about canisters, and love the two i have on my 150g. Sumps can cause floods if not properly set up, maybe cheap canisters, but a nice canister like a rena xp or fluval will not pose a risk if properly set up (not hard at all :))... That being said, a small tank like yours would be fine with a nice HOB like an aquaclear50, but like jsoong stated, a canister would be better (and are always better imo)... check out the fluval 305, that would be a great filter for your tank and would give you very good filtration :)

I've never had a leak when I ran my canister, even with seals 10 years old. I suppose there are always bad ones on the market, but a good quality canister is very reliable.

That is a weird size for a walmart tank ... I would pass on it personally. A non-standard size tank means you have to have custom make stands & canopy, which might just cost you more in the long run.

For a planted tank, a wider tank (front to back) is definitely a plus. I would go for at least 18". That would mean a 30 or 40 gal breeder for a 3 foot tank, & a 65 or 75 gal for a 4 foot tank.

Since you are into planted, you will need to have upgraded light. 4 foot light systems are generally less costly than other size, so that might be a consideration. <For that 40" tank, you will have to have a custom made canopy to grow plants.>

Back
Top Bottom