possible to mod asm g-2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have experience with the asm g-2 protein skimmers? I really like this skimmer but I'm faced with possibly replacing it (due to it's size)....has anyone done any mods to this skimmer AND do you think it's possible to do some plumbing modifications to make it an external skimmer? Does this seem like a reasonable mod?

Eeek! Help!!

The easiest mod to do is the needlewheel mesh mod. That will let the pump pull a little more air. You are limited in the mods you can do with this skimmer because of the size of the neck.
If your not afraid to drill some holes in the skimmer body, you can make it a recirculating skimmer, which then can be run externally. It's not an easy mod tho as the holes must be precisely placed and uniseals put in to keep the new plumbing watertight. I wouldn't suggest this kind of mod unless you're not worried about destroying the skimmer. It's easy to crack the body while drilling it out.

If you decided to do the Recir Mod I would suggest keeping it in the sump rather then plumbing it externally. The Uniseals can leak and if you don't have everything just right you could end up with water everywhere.

The Mesh mod is a good option to increase performance. ASMSkimmer.com Online Store

I think I'm going to get the Aqua Medic Turboflotor 1000 Multi. It will solve my problem nicely.

Thanks much for your help!

I agree with cccapt. If you want to improve your skimming and are willing to buy a new skimmer look at the Octopus skimmer.

Are you just not getting much skimate from the ASM or is there a reason you aren't happy with it?

I've had my asm skimmer for about 3 months and I absolutely love it but I need a skimmer that is external.

Oh...well...if you don't feel comfortable modding it yourself you could always get with a local club member to help you out. There are kits available for the recirc mod.

Back
Top Bottom