Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have one on my goldfish tank. The longer it runs the slower it gets. In a few weeks I`m sure it will slow down once the nitrifying bacteria gets on it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I have one on my goldfish tank. The longer it runs the slower it gets. In a few weeks I`m sure it will slow down once the nitrifying bacteria gets on it.
and i thought you only had a reef tank.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really like my Penguin 200 until it sucked in some sand. It hasn't been the same since.

Stick a piece of filter sponge in the intake tube. That'll slow down the biowheel.

The biowheel isn't necessary for the filter to work, but it is beneficial. Good bacteria operate most efficiently in a high-oxygen environment. The biowheel provides this by rotating them up into the air. If it really bothers you, just take the biowheel out.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you pull that little magnetic thing out of the filter Jim? I forgot what it's called. Mine sucked some sand up too, and I took that thing out, cleaned it, and never had another problem.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I emptied the filter and rinsed it free of sand. I pulled out the impeller, disassembled it and cleaned it. I polished the impeller shaft with very fine steel wool. I even replaced the impeller. All that didn't do much good. It would quiet down for a few minutes, then it would start making a horrible squealing sound again.

I finally pulled the bearing off one end of the impeller, stuck the rubber bearing cap back where it belonged, and ran the filter with only one bearing. It helped, but the filter was still louder than it was.

The Penguin has since been replaced with an AC70. I couldn't bring myself to drop another $13 on a new impeller for a $35 filter.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a Biowheel and it is very quiet. Second what the poster above said about it getting quieter over time. Mine is whisper silent and I've had it for some time now.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine are silent too. I bet if you got ahold of Marineland Jim, they would replace it. A friend just called them and told him his heaters stopped working, they were all gunked up, and they send him new ones.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've used the Marineland filters and I currently have an Aqueon filter on our 46 bowfront.

I didn't/don't have a problem with the noise on the Marinelands, however after about a year it quit working, in the time it took to send it back to Marineland and get a replacement I had to purchase another one so my fish would live. Hence the Aqueon. The Aqueon is still on the bowfront and we have no problems, it's quiet and whenever we have power surges it reprimes itself due to the "motor" (can't remember what it's called) being inside the tank.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The biowheel will get quieter over time. All the new ones I have bought were really loud when they first started but after several weeks they quieted down and didn't make any noise at all. If you don't like it, you can simply take it off the filter and run the filter without it .

Tags
bio, eel, penguin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com