Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
JPA
Aquarium Advice Regular

Possible to slow down Biowheel in Penguin 200?

I recently purchased and installed a new Penguin 200 filter in my 38 gallon tank. I'm not all that thrilled with how loud it is (even with the tank topped off).

The noise seems to mostly be coming from the Biowheel, which is running at an incredible rate. Does anyone have any advice on how to SLOW down the biowheel? It should be just as effective if its not spinning as quickly, but would provide me with a lot of sound relief. I read a post that referred to "spray adjustments" on their filter, but I have no idea what that actually is.

Thanks! Let me know if you need any more information!

Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

welcome to aa i had the same filter, and i HATED it. generally, if you can drop the water level down a bit, the wheel wont spin as fast. mine would barely spin if the water level was at the bottom of the "'ramp" or lower. try lowering it down about an inch from the very top of the tank, just about the trim line or a bit lower.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
JPA
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the welcome mfdrookie.

Unfortunately, the filter is even louder if I lower the water level in the tank (then it sounds like a waterfall). I filled the tank as high as it could go just to get where I am now.

I am thinking that there must be something you could jam into the biowheel holders that might slow it down, I just have no idea what it could be.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

to be honest with you, if you can, take it back. They are junk imo. I guess if you keep it, you could maybe put a piece of duct tape over the little pin on each side of the wheel, just a tiny piece, so that it would be a tad bigger? Honestly, for hob filters, aquaclear are the only way to go. i just prefer canisters over anything

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 12-15-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
JPA
Aquarium Advice Regular

Really? Because I was always told that you NEED a biowheel
Old 12-15-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

no, i dont have a biowheel in any of my tanks, nor do about 90% of the people on here. Thats probably just some sales pitch the lfs started making to sell more filters. All you need is some sort of mechanical and biological filtration. The cartridge in an hob serves as both. In my canisters, i have sponges and bio-rings. the sponges get the gunk, the rings house the bacteria

Old 12-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #7
JPA
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hmmm....In that case, I wonder if my original and quieter filter might work out. It is an Aqueon filter (but I have no other info on it - it came with the tank and without any packaging).

What are your thoughts on Aqueon filters?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I dont have any experience with them. Ive used aqua-tech filters from walmart (very quiet and cheap), tetra whisper filters (JUNK), penguin (JUNK), and fluval canisters. If you already have it, why not try it and see. Just make sure its adequate for the tank. You want a filter rated for around 50-60g (or more... i run two filters rated for 60g in my 55g)in that tank

Old 12-15-2009, 04:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now, I just got an AC, and it is THE loudest filter I have! My bio-wheels are WAY quieter than that one.....
Old 12-15-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
JPA
Aquarium Advice Regular

I took mfdookie's advice and put a small piece of tape over the spokes of the biowheel. It still turns, but not at a much slower speed. Thanks for the help!

And if anyone thinks this is a bad idea also, let me know. But as far as I can figure out, the biowheel is still touching the water, so it's doing its job.

Tags
bio, eel, penguin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com