Possible Upgrade Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RainSalt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!
Not sure where to post this, so I chose this as closest topic.
I currently have a two-three year old saltwater tank. It is 55 gallons with about 80-100 lbs of live rock.
I am interested in upgrading to a 120 gallon tank (same 4 foot long footprint). My question is whether I would have to cycle this tank if I were to simply transfer all the sand, rock, livestock, bio-balls, and filter pads into the new tank.
In my mind, I imagine this to be almost like a 60% water change. Would this be dangerous to my livestock?

Furthermore, I would upgrade my filtering system, lighting, and heating. Otherwise, it would mostly stay the same, no?

Hello!
I currently have a two-three year old saltwater tank. It is 55 gallons with about 80-100 lbs of live rock.
I am interested in upgrading to a 120 gallon tank (same 4 foot long footprint). My question is whether I would have to cycle this tank if I were to simply transfer all the sand, rock, livestock, bio-balls, and filter pads into the new tank.
In my mind, I imagine this to be almost like a 60% water change. Would this be dangerous to my livestock?

Furthermore, I would upgrade my filtering system, lighting, and heating. Otherwise, it would mostly stay the same, no?
No no cycle would be needed.

What do you have for filtering, lighting and heating? I'm guessing you will need another of what ever light you have to cover the deep tank.

I honestly do not remember what lighting I have... I posted it somewhere on the forum and was told it would probably not have enough light. I have successfully kept Xenia and 2 anemones with it. I do not think it will be enough for a deeper tank.
If I get the 120, I plan on getting (2) Kessil a350w or 2 of those LED fixtures on ebay.
I would probably also get a bigger pump, and use a sump for an undecided filtration system. (Currently have wet-dry which I am pretty happy about).
But I have never had a bigger tank than a 55 so I do not know much about what I would need for the bigger tank in terms of filtration, plumbing, etc.

By the way, thanks for answering and making my cycling-fears disappear!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello!

I honestly do not remember what lighting I have... I posted it somewhere on the forum and was told it would probably not have enough light. I have successfully kept Xenia and 2 anemones with it. I do not think it will be enough for a deeper tank.
If I get the 120, I plan on getting (2) Kessil a350w or 2 of those LED fixtures on ebay.
I would probably also get a bigger pump, and use a sump for an undecided filtration system. (Currently have wet-dry which I am pretty happy about).
But I have never had a bigger tank than a 55 so I do not know much about what I would need for the bigger tank in terms of filtration, plumbing, etc.

By the way, thanks for answering and making my cycling-fears disappear!

How large is your sump? For heaters I would probably just get another one of what you have. For the light you are probably going to need 2 dual T5 Ho fixtures or 2 Marineland Reef capable LED's. SW reef's require a pretty powerful light.

I have never been a fan of T5 lighting (tried it and hated it) *hides under rock*
But I am definitely looking into some sort of powerful LED system. Really, really love the Kessil - any experience with it? Anyone?
I have read some members on here use the ebay LED successfully.

I have the Eshopps wet dry filter, and thats pretty much it - no sump.
I would look into a 20 gallon sump with a protein skimmer, and perhaps still make into a wet-dry system. I am not entirely sure how I would set up filtration. Daunting task it seems. Some people use wet dry, canister, the sump with the "socks" that catch debris, etc.

This would also be a great excuse to get that mean clown out of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom