Power compact bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have power compact lighting on all my tanks, and I'm wondering if it's time to replace some...or maybe even all of them. I've read that they last a lot longer than regular flourescents...I've even read that they are good until they just plain don't work anymore. They're for a planted tank so it's important for me to know if I should replace them. Does anyone know the deal with these things? THANKS

i was wondering the same thing. mine are on a reef tank. and i am at 6 months now. should they be changed?

I just remember being told yearly, so that's what I do. I get big growth spurts in my planted tank every January because of it.

I acutally dump mine every 9 months on my reef tank. I find the color and intensity changes by that point.

Some reccommend to change out the bulbs every 6 months & others once a year. I myself change my bulbs out once a year on my planted tanks.

I'm once a year, but I'm told to do it every six months. Sometimes I can see the difference before the 12-month mark and then I go ahead and change them, but at 6 months I can't justify it. If the plants are growing well and there is nothing "wrong" then there is no reason to trash perfectly good bulbs. The only reason to change them is when they no longer perform as desired.

well i will be adding 2 bran new bulbs to the 2 6 month old ones in the next week or so when the top is done. so then i will go a yarly cycle and they will be oppisit eachohter. i will only replace 2 of the 4 every six months. i think that will work out the best.

I got the new bulbs on the tank...and to the eye, it's definitely a good deal brighter...I'll post when I can tell whether or not there is a change in the growth of the plants and if there is any change in the amount of algae that I saw start to increase recently when the bulbs started to age.....

Back
Top Bottom