Power Compact lifespan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just put a second Coralife Aqualight on my tank. I replaced the bulbs on the original unit last May (7 months ago). That light is yellow compared to the new light with all light on and light bluish as opposed to the popping violet of the fixture.

How often should PC lights be changed? I though they were supposed to last a year.

Did you replace the bulbs with coralife bulbs? If you replaced with different bulbs, that would explain the difference in the color. I know that some actinic PC's have a violet look and some are more blue. The blue ones are often 7100k bulbs that have been sold as actinics though. Just a thought. AFAIK, PC's should last about a year.

I would say 9 months between bulb changes

Different brands of bulbs will give ya a different look

For PC'S change them at 6-7 months. You will not beleive the difference in the bulbs at 6 months!

I go 9 months with my PC bulbs. At 6 months its just a little to expensive for me over the long run. Im not sure if you keep them cooler if it helps prolong their color specitrum life. I dont see how some folks can get 12 months out of them with out seriously impacting the color output.

12 months is to long. When you get the new one put it in next to the old one and you can see with you eye how much brighter the new one is.

Oh i know. Its amazing the new intensity. Now that I have experence with both VHO and PC I have to say VHO if you have the space is better in bulb life and personally color output.

Replacements were Coralife, so the bulbs are all the same. Seeing the difference at 7 months I ordered new bulbs from Helios. They may be slighty different but in 6 months I'll order two sets.

Back
Top Bottom