Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-15-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Power Compact Lighting

I have just started a 75 gallon sw tank. I don't have any lighting and I am shopping for a good compact lighting system for my soon to be reef tank. I have a budget and would like to stick around the $200 range but if I have no choice but to spend more I will. I would like to know of some good brands of compact lighting of at least 4x65watts and 48"long.

bj5z25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard of WAY too many Orbit and Satellite fixtures malfunctioning to make them a viable option IMO.

JBJ makes a fixture, but I guess the fans on it sound like jet engine taking off, as opposed to the coralife which sounds more like a couple slightly audible computer fans.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Ditto. Get a coralife. I haven't had a problem with mine since day 1.

The only thing is you say soon to be reef tank. I strongly recommend you get MH or else you will be putting alot of inverts near the top of the tank. I suggest you get cheap flourescant lighting and save ALOT of money for a CF/MH combo unit. It will be expensive but well worth it. And if your patient and wait a good number of months, you will probably have saved enough money to buy the unit and your tank will be mature enough to support most moderate level corals.
15 Gallon
2 O. Clownfish
4 Chromis
Coco Worm
Feather Duster
Cleanup Crew
21# LR
Coralife Aqualight
-36W 10000K
-36W Actinic
Coralife Super Skimmer 65
Aquaclear 50 filter
Aquaclear 20 ph
Marineland Visitherm 50W heater
lasek2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a coralife 4X65 PC... LOVE it!
RLG2182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
thanks for the info. i got the coralife with moon lamps the other day. its working great.
My tanks-
newly set up 75 gal SW, 30 lbs of fiji lr, 30lbs of lace rock, 90 lbs of course/fine argonite sand, rena canister filter, 48" 4x65 watt pc, red sea turbo berlin skimmer.
Inhabitants- 2 percula clown fish, 1 muchroom coral, 2 leather corals, and 2 mystery corals.
bj5z25 is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting, power compact

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com