power compact lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As in a single bulb? No. I believe the largest single bulb you can get is 96 watts. But most fixtures are a combination of more than one lamp that will give you more than 110 watts.

For example, the PC fixture I have is a 2x65 watt fixture, totaling 130 watts.

Thanks I will check it out. I dont really need vho's and I would like to only run 2 72" bulbs I am installing them in a canopy so I dont want to really piece together 4 seperate bulbs if I can keep from it.
Melissa

I don’t think they make 72” long PC bulbs. You will still probably end up doing 4 36” 96w PC bulbs giving you about 3 wpg on your 125.

I know I will be putting in 3x175 metal halide (havent decided on 10k or 20k) I really like the real blue look. I would like to get as close to 7w/gal as I can without the extra heat and cost of electric bills. Do the metal halides put out more heat and use more electric than the vho's?

If you like it blue the 20k lights are probably what you would like depending on the brand and if you are going to use Actinic bulbs in addition.

:D 800+ watts is going to closely affect your power bill the same whether it’s PC/VHO/MH or any combination of those. VHO does run cooler than MH but I think you’re limited to 160w with them and if you went with 4 72” 160w VHO you would have 5.12 wpg which would give you the ability to keep all but the high light corals.

Of course if you are planning on keeping any high light corals then MH is nice since you can also keep lower light corals whereas VHO blankets the entire tank like PC with light.

For simplicity I’d go with the 3 175w MH and two 160w 72” VHO bulbs giving you 6.76 wpg.

okay I think I might try the 3x250w metal halide and 2x96w pc
maybe I think to think on this one a bit.
Thanx
Melissa

Back
Top Bottom