Power Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We had a temporary power failure Monday caused by a construction error by the electric company. I lost about 1 ft of water (25 gal) due to back pressure causing my canister filter to leak. I will do a bench test on the filter to see exactly where the water came from. It is on an Eheim Professional II. This model has an air intake and a pulsating outflow system. I used some battery operated air pumps I use for fishing to get O2 to the tank during the outage.

All life is OK, except the coralline on the back of the tank. My question is, will the coralline that was exposed grow back? I know eventually it will be covered again, but will the cells that are dead grow back themselves. Should I scrape off the now white coralline? Hard to believe that after only 11 hrs of not being submerged, the coralline is dead already.

It will definatly grow back. It might take some time. If you want you can scrape off the old.

If you don't scrape it, it will probably fall off on its own. I lost a beautiful corraline back wall when I moved my tank. It is coming back but I hated to see it die.

You let the corraline grow on the back wall of your tanks? Thats interesting... I've always scraped the corraline off all of the walls weekly and just let it grow on the rocks. How does it look?... I would think that it would make the tank look "dirtier". Maybe I should let it grow on the back wall too if you think that it looks better.

I love the coralline. The good thing also is that it deters other nuisance alge from getting hold. Why look at a blue or black back, when it could be a nice shade of purple. It will eventually turn into a solid purple. While starting up, it's patchy, but eventually it will fill in entirely.

Nice tank by the way, Indy.

Thanks, Bait. I'll try your suggestion
Most let it grow on the back, and some even on the sides. Depends on how much viewing space through the side.

Most people have a little more LR in their tanks than you do, so cleaning the back would be impossible even if they wanted to scrape it off.

Back
Top Bottom