Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Power Filter

I have A new 10 gallon tank thats been running about 3 months now..I have the whisper 10 power filter. It worked ok at first but now even after cleaning it really good it just doesn't flow like it use to and the water isn't moving as much. I really don't like this filter..the bags gets clogged pretty fast..anyhow..what would be a good replacement..I was looking at the Penguin 100B filter. any addvice?

thanks

Mark

Old 03-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't heard too many good things about Whispers so I'm not surprised you don't like yours. The Penguin filter would be a great option for you, as would an Aquaclear mini (100 gph). It's really up to you... I can tell you that the Penguin will be louder than the AC if that matters to you. Also, if you get an AC you don't have to buy filter cartridges, as you can just rinse the sponge insert in old tankwater every so often during your PWCs and then you don't have to change it. But the Penguin has the Biowheel if that's what you want. Either one would work great. www.bigalsonline.com probably has the best prices.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
If they ship to the states, JL quatics have the best price for AC filters

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I refuse to use any other HOB power filter than Hagens, Aqua Clear's.
Hands down the best, very reliable, less noise, add any media you want, easy to clean, great GPH flow rates and easily modified with a bio-wheel if you want them.
I've been running my AC's for years with no breakdowns and after cleaning just prime the box and they re-start every time.

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #5

Thanks For the Help...I ordered an Aquaclear 200 From Big Al's..Can't wait to trash that POS Filter I have now...
Old 03-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, just make sure you don't trash your POS too soon! If I were you I would run both the old and new filter at the same time on your tank for a couple weeks to avoid a cycle. Good luck! I think you will really like the AC compared to the Whisper.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you don't want to do that you could put the cartridge from the Whisper into the AC when you get it... not sure if it will fit in there though as I am not too familiar with the Whisper.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:50 PM   #8

Well,
I have the new filter in and everything has been Ok..no problems with getting a mini cycle..
and the water looks so much better.
thanks for the help
Old 03-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do you attach a bio-wheel to an AquaClear?
Jeff
Old 03-18-2005, 04:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

AquaClear filters have been used on all my tanks except for my 55 gallon in which I use a wet/dry filter. But, as far as HOB is concerned, AquaClears are one of the best, if not the best.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com