Power Filter....Needs lots of opinions on what is the best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishylittlenemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone I need some help on what is the best power filter out there. I'm having alittle problem but I would like lots of opinions on whats the best out there. So what is the best out there? And once again thanks soo much for all your help out there everyone.

fishylittlenemo

I've used most brand of hobs out there, and one canister, and my vote goes for the aquaclear hobs.

I like Regents or Penguins personally, some people say the regents are cheap, but there is one thing idon't like, there filter cartridges are weird, they have this little lip, on mine they do anywyas, but i still stick whisper cartridges in it anyways lol

I have a LOT of Emperor filters: two E-400's and 3 E-280's

I just bought my first AquaClear 110 and am so incredibly impressed with it that I regret buying all those Emperors.

I got sucked into the bio-wheel marketing, and while I do think that the biowheel is fantastic, the Emperor/Penguin filter cartridges leave much to be desired.

Quite simply, I think that Marineland designed their filters to require frequent purchases of expensive new cartridges as much as they designed them to filter water. I beat them at their game and cut the carbon out of the filters and add bulk filter media, but that is somewhat a hassle.

In contrast, the AquaClear has a GIANT foam block that can be re=used almost indefinitely, and the huge filter media basket allows you to set up the filter with media in whatever way YOU want to.

I vote for the AC also, because there are no ongoing expenses. You can add asecond foam insert (mine all have 2), you can put a bit of floss between the 2 foam inserts for polishing, and the foam inserts last for many years. Another advantage is that the majority of them (except the 500/110) use the same motor with different impellers. You can alter their flow by using larger or smaller impellers, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Welcome to AA!

What size is your tank that you are trying to filter? I would use a AquaClear HOB for up to a 55gal and over I would use a AquaClear and a canaster type. IMO HTH

I'm a firm believer in Aquaclear for hob filtration. They are the most versatile for different types of media, and very reliable. The sponges are reusable for years, just rinse them out when you do partials. I have 2 110's on a 55, one running through each UG filter plate. Whatever doesn't get siphoned out with partials collects in the sponges (2 in each filter). You can also load activated carbon between the sponge blocks, or use floss to collect fine particles.

Another vote here for Aquaclear! I have an Aquaclear 50 on my 29 gallon planted tank and a Aquaclear 20 I think it is, on my 10 gallon. Both tanks orginally had Whisper HOB filters but I replaced them both with the Aquaclears. I love the fact that you can hook up your filter baskets how ever you'd like.

Well I can tell you what NOT to buy - I had a TetraTec 150 on my 26 gallon (came with the tank) - that thing is a hunk of junk. Its NOISY, it clogs way too easy, and you are constantly adjusting it to get it to "gurgle" just right through the 3 chambers. Probably the box it came in would work just as well. LOL I just thought that was how all filters were (being a newbie and all) - but a few months later I'm a bit wiser. The ONLY thing thats really cool about it, is that the heater is integrated into the intake of the filter. So you have less "stuff" hanging down into the tank- a little more pleasing to the human eye I suppose.

So even though we are under a heavy snow warning, I ran out real quick and just picked up an Aquaclear 50 and a Visi-Therm Stealth heater. Getting ready to set it all up now - I'll let you know but from the sounds of the reviews from other people- sounds like I won't be disappointed.

aquanewbie72 said:
Well I can tell you what NOT to buy - I had a TetraTec 150 on my 26 gallon (came with the tank) - that thing is a hunk of junk. Its NOISY, it clogs way too easy, and you are constantly adjusting it to get it to "gurgle" just right through the 3 chambers. Probably the box it came in would work just as well. LOL I just thought that was how all filters were (being a newbie and all) - but a few months later I'm a bit wiser. The ONLY thing thats really cool about it, is that the heater is integrated into the intake of the filter. So you have less "stuff" hanging down into the tank- a little more pleasing to the human eye I suppose.

So even though we are under a heavy snow warning, I ran out real quick and just picked up an Aquaclear 50 and a Visi-Therm Stealth heater. Getting ready to set it all up now - I'll let you know but from the sounds of the reviews from other people- sounds like I won't be disappointed.

I also had the TetraTec 150 on my 26G bowfront, til I replaced it with my Emperor 280. Glad I did, as I couldn't keep the thing working properly. Now I'm happy with what I got, the 280 does an awsome job on my 26G.

Never get an Aquatech, they really suck and it is 10 times the amount work to keep it working than my 2 Aquaclear 20's. I htink they are a blessing, especially for small tanks because you can multiply the surface area for biological filtration. By doing so, you can help prevent what seems to inevitable crashes in 10 gallon tanks.

I will say that I don't like the way the bottom will glog up in the Aquaclear but it makes it really easy to see when you need to clean the sponges because it bubbles higher in the main chamber.

My vote, Aquaclear but get one size larger for your tank. I wish I did.

I most of you's go with the aqua clear ones more then any other. I see emprior is another popular one. Thanks everyone for your opinions. Its really helpin me out. You guys are the pros..thanx

fishylittlenemo

I'm definately not one of the pros, but I just recently purchased an Aquaclear 70 after having the same problem. It's extremely easy to clean and maintain, never clogs or sucks up any fishies, very versatile in the kind of media you can put in it, and the flow speed control works fairely well for its simplicity of design. Despite all of that, it's also one of the cheapest of the best HOB's so I would definately recommend it. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Back
Top Bottom