Power filter Question? Advice Needed Desperately!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

storm3884

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After a lengthy hiatus, I have decided to return to frey with a 55 gallon (long) glass tank.

I just have a few questions on the dizzying array of power filter options available.

1. I always assumed that the recommend necessary "turnover" was 3X per hour. Is this correct? Thus, will all be more than safe/happy with a 200 gph filter?

2. Will using a higher gph filter than the recommended rule of thumb ease and lessen maintence needs? i.e. water changes, chemical treatments, algae, gravel siphoning...

3. Will a higher gph result in a higher current that stresses certain fish? I plan on stocking, after initial tank set-up and cycling, approx. 15 neon tetra, and other, yet to be determined, non-aggressive fish.

4. Any advice on a reliable, quiet filter? I was, intially, leaning towards a Tetratac (I believe that is the correct spelling) with a intergrated heating element. Does anyone have any experience with said filter? I noticed while perusing the forums that most people seem partial to the Emporers. Why?

Thanks for any advice you can give, it will be greatly appreciated!!!! :wink:

1. 200 gph would be fine for a 55g

2. The better the filtration, the bigger your bioload can be; I would still recommend fairly regular and frequent partial water changes

3. Very likely not; I have a gigantic filter on my 20g long, and there's only a tiny current near the top, and that's only if the water levels get too low from evaporation. In general, the height that the water falls from the power filter makes more of a difference in the creation of a current than the filter itself, unless you place the filter towards the side rather than at the middle. I've found that doing this will create a fairly annoying current, but my betta actually likes it. So, in summary, I wouldn't worry about that :p

4. I like penguin biowheels. Not too pricy, very powerful, and whisper quiet.

I'll throw my two cents in :wink: I've heard conflicting reports on the Tetratec with the heater inside. There was a discussion about this filter a few months ago on the message boards at http://www.nano-reef.com. Several people complained that it's very noisy, but at least one person loved it.

As far as how much is too much for a filter, in my experience more is better, within reason. I have an Aquaclear 200 (rated for 50 gallons) on my 30 gallon goldfish tank, since they're so dirty. I have an Aquaclear 150 (rated for 30 gallons) on my 10 gallon community tank, and it works great. I have it adjusted so it's not running full blast. The fish mostly stay out of the way of the outflow, and they don't seem too stressed by it. I've never used Emperor, but they have many happy customers, so I'm sure they're good.

Long story short (too late), I would look for a filter that 's one level up from what it says you need. For example, the Aquaclear 200 says it's for aquariums up to 50 gallons. If I had a 50 gallon tank, I'd buy the next size up and just reduce the intake so it's not running full blast. That way, if you decide you do need more filtration later, you can simply adjust it.

Hope this helps! :)

I love my Emperor 400. Super filtration and reliable performance. You can get it online for about $38 plus shipping.

Personally, I have two (2) Emperor 400's running on my 90gal - one intake tube at the bottom, and the other at mid-tank.

The only other filters I'd condsider would be the large cannister filters, but they tend to be quite expensive.

--- Dragon77

Thanks for the info!!! It is greatly appreciated!!! I have decided to go with the Emporer 400 and a smaller Penguin as a secondary/backup unit.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom