Power Filter too noisy!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I have an old filter, and Im reusing it. it works, but its too noisy!! I cant seem to quiet it down. Any suggestions before I go and buy a new filter?

edit:

I gave it a good cleaning, its clean. its not vibrating against anything since I moved it around, still equally noisy

What type of filter is it? I would look into replacing the impeller first and see if that helps. Or is the sound coming from the motor itself?

I dont know where it came from. I tried cleaning it, replacing the impeller from another old filter.. and gave up after about an hour, lol.

I went and bought a new filter.. nice and quiet!

DragonFish said:
Hi. I have an old filter, and Im reusing it. it works, but its too noisy!! I cant seem to quiet it down. Any suggestions before I go and buy a new filter?

In my experience, most power filters are just "powerfully noisy". I use either HOBS that are similar to penquins or marinelands and only use Eheim cannisters with the exception on one Magnum 350 to polish the water in a 125.

Impeller problems (about 99.98% of the time)
and the shafts on the cheap ones get knocked out of square really easy..

I heat tempered them back in the days when canisters cost an arm and a leg.. (somewere around the $300 range ouch!)

but an aquaclear fixes this problem pretty fast :D

Back
Top Bottom