Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2006, 05:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey last thing, how much better are the Marineland Bio Wheels then the Aquaclear filters??

Old 04-24-2006, 10:34 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to iceywater101
I have a 20 gal long in my room in which I am running 2 ac 20s and they are quite and do a nice job filtering. Also I use sand substrate and the filters have quit like 4 times because of the sand and after a short easy cleaning they keep on going. These filters are impossible to break. But I have never used a bio wheel filter because of the water so I can give an opion on those.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiestang_78
Hey last thing, how much better are the Marineland Bio Wheels then the Aquaclear filters??
I prefer the Marineland Biowheels myself, but both are good filters. I think with the biowheel, the Marineland filters have a slight advantage.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright, its jsut this tank is in my bedroom and the trickling water thing I would only put up with if the Bio Wheels are alot better then the ACs.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
The AC 50 is a great unit. There is plenty of room for all the bacterial filtration you will need. The bio-wheels are nice accessories but they are not essential by any means. I have a AC50 on my 29 and it does a great job. You cant go wrong with either choice.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright thanks you guys, i went to the LFS and listened to the Bio Wheels and forget that, the filer motor was hard enough to get use to but the trickle is just too much for me. Also the fish dude said the wheels get noisier as the filter dirties up so oh well, AC it is.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to iceywater101
I am glad you found a great filter but actually I have heard it gets quiter when it startsd to built gunk on it, but once again I have never owned one so maybe someone one else can clear that myth up.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Yes, it gets quieter as the gunk builds up. But it also depends on if you can tolerate the slight sound of moving water. I have a 55G next to my bed with 2 Emperor 400's running, and puts me right to sleep.

If you want something real quiet, why not get a cannister? Like the XP1. I love my XP3, I have to put my head under the tank stand next to the filter just to hear the slight hum.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tahts alright, I want a HOB filter. Not much room to spare for the canister and tubing. Just want something simple yet effective with not trickling water.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Aquaclear is much more quiet than the Emperor IME, but you can keep the Emperor pretty quiet if you keep your water level high in your tank. I like to use the Aquaclear with 2 sponge inserts stacked together instead of the carbon. Then I put the Biomax (ceramic rings) on top of that and it's good to go.

Basically, each of these filters has its advantages IMO.
The Emperor has the Biowheel, which allows a big surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. It also comes with an extra media basket (2 for the 400 model) that I use for filter floss. But, the cartridges are expensive to replace, and the filter itself is more expensive.

The Aquaclear lets you use 2 foam blocks, which IME gives you plenty of surface area for your bacteria. Plus, the Biomax is included, and also serves this purpose. You don't have to buy replacement cartridges, since it doesn't use any. The foam blocks can be rinsed out (in tank water ONLY) over and over. I have some that have never been replaced, and hve been running for a couple of years. The Biomax never needs to be replaced at all from what I can tell. But, there's no Biowheel.

I think both of them are good products, but if noise is your main consideration, then go with the Aquaclear. That said, I use an Emperor 400 on my bedroom tank (30 gal long) and I sleep fine.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filter upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com