Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Power Filter Upgrade

I have a 30 Gallon with a Whisper 40 on it currently but after some reading am deciding to get something alittle better. I was just wondering if Whispers are really that bad or are fine for a small community tank like mine. I saw one article say they dont have enough bio filtering and also no secondary filtering. If not what brand do you recommend and how much should they cost roughly.

Also noise should be taken in consideration as the tak is in my bedroom.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
An AquaClear 50 would do nicely on that tank. They are quiet and you can put just about any filter media that you could want in them.
I use sponges, bio-max, and crushed coral (my tap water is very soft) in mine. They are awesome filters, highly recommended.
Filters and most other equipment are best bought online, to get them cheaper.
Big Al's is a good site for this, they have the AC 50 for $18.99: http://www.bigalsonline.com

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I would go with the ac as well.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
my 2 cents .... i run a emperor 280 by marineland on my 29gal and it has worked great so far and is fairly quiet and it also has an extra media container to put any type of media into it that u want ... and the bio wheel on it seems to work magic ... HTH

Ray
Old 04-23-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperboy
my 2 cents .... i run a emperor 280 by marineland on my 29gal and it has worked great so far and is fairly quiet and it also has an extra media container to put any type of media into it that u want ... and the bio wheel on it seems to work magic ... HTH

Ray
I have to agree. I have one on my 26G and it's awsome. Has been working flawlessly for almost a year and a half now. I just occasionally rinse out the housing and impeller. Other than that, the ceramic rings in the media box stays in, no rinsing, and change out the filter pad when it's clogged. And if the spraybar jets get clogged, use the brush to clear the holes. That's it.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

So upgrading from a whisper is a good idea? And are those Bio Wheels things noisy at all?

And also I should always get the filter above what I need right? like for a 30gal I should get a filter for a 40 or 50 right?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Upgrading is always good. As for the Emperors, there is a slight noise of running water. But I like it myself, it's soothing. I like the sound of running water. Other than that, it's pretty quiet.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not a big fan of trickling water myself. Probably go with the AquaClear, seems pretty nice. But if the Bio Wheels are the best then a little noise will be worth it. Also whats the difference between the Emperor and the Penguin Bio Wheels from Marineland?? I cant see a difference, is one newer and better?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Emperors are good filters but I wouldn't put one on a tank that's in my room. I don't like the sound of running water when I'm trying to sleep either.
The Penguin filters seem to be a little more compact and better for smaller tanks. The Emperors are better filters than the Penguins IMO.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks you so much, Im going to go to my fish store cause I know they have one running on there tank and see if it bothers me. I figure I could get use to it and also my air pump is quiet noisy so Ill see.

Tags
filter, filter upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com