Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-09-2005, 04:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to thanew
i just installed an emperor 400 on my 55 gal -- i've never seen it so clear as far as over filtration i dont think thats ever a problem unless its creating a current which is too strong for the fish (had a problem with some small plecos before) or if its too close to the substrate (not the filters problem but the operators just a switch in the depth of the intake and you are set)

55 gallon fw
-1 Pleco
-3 Yellow Labs (+ babies in maternity tank)
-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I run 2 170 biowheels on my 55. The advantages of 2 are many. Better distribution by having them at opposite ends of the tank. Backup if one quits. Double the biofilter, clean filters on an alternating basis. One thing I do is cut the top of new filter cartridges and remove and save the carbon. You don't need the carbon most of the time, but it can be put back in to remove meds. When the cartridge gets shabby, I cut all the filter off with a razor blade , keeping the frame. Cut pieces of bonded filter floss and rubberband them to the filter frame, one on each side and one across the bottom. Only costs pennies instead of dollars. If you are not in a real hurry, you can get the 170s from Big Als way cheaper than at the LFS.

Doran Hayes
BASSNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
Well I got back from PetSmart about 15 mins ago and already have my new Penguin 170 running Its kind of different hearing the "splash" of the bio-wheel, as opposed to the "stream" from the old whisper. I only bought 1 to replace 1 of the whispers, my other whisper is still running on the other side of the tank. I really liked how easy it was to set up and go!! A lot easier and quicker than the Whispers. Plus, I think my water needed a little more interaction. Im going to try this Penguin 170 out on the one side, and if I like it I might go and buy another one. If im not so happy Im going to buy an emperor for the other side

Anybody want to buy 2 Whisper 30's? hehe

Hey while I have your attention(s), how long should a heater last? I bought mine with my setup 2 years ago, its a marineland brand, its got a grey plastic top with an small orange dial and a built in temp gauge.

Also I just tested my parameters. Ammonia = 0 Nitrites=0 Nitrates=40ppm?!? I just did a gravel vacuum and probably 40% water change last nite. Could the high nitrate ppm be from a little green algae growing on the back of my aquarium?

46 Gallon Bow F/W: 4 - Zebra Danio's, 2 - Red Platy's, 2 - lg. Silver Dollars, 1 - Pleco (4.5"), 1- Gourami, 1 - Cory Cat, 1 - mystery snail, 4 - Cherry Barbs, 1 - Black Molly
Chriznat20 is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com