Power head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dhiy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g salt water tank and I'm planning to make it a reef tank. I was wondering what you guys think of this power head. (hydor koralia 3) I currently have a power head but there are alot of dead spots. And I do not want a power head that creates too many bubbles.

So long as you keep them low in the water they shouldn't make bubbles. Hydors are good (I use them) but it's an equally good idea (if possible for you) to add another return pump but much smaller to give you another source of circulating water.

It's a lot cheaper to buy another pump and some PVC to shoot water around your tank than buy the Tunze, Hydors, etc.

You can get Hydors 25% or so cheaper than an LFS at foster and smith, but you might want to try out maxijets from the sponsor spotlight. I use maxijet pumps all the time because they're cheap and good and I bet those powerheads are worth giving a shot.

I use koralia 1050 they are the new 3,on my 90g reef.I have them somewhat high on the tank pointed upward to brake the water line on top and it still moves the water below....but if I had the money I would go with the vortech .

RETURN PUMP: is the pump you use in your sump to "RETURN" the water back to the display tank.

Okay you have a 55g tank you want to make reef. Well first you need to do lots more reading and Internet searching .... Not to be mean but I can tell by your questions that you need a bit more...

Now with a tank the size of a 55g I would not use hang on the back filters... Not for a (FOWLR) tank and no way for a REEF.

With smaller tanks you can get away using hang on the back filters.

Now to start a reef I would suggest the following equipment :

1- Ro/DI unit . U feel is the most important equipment in any saltwater tank.
1- t5 high output light fixture or metal halides or LEDs .
1- 30g or 40g size sump/refugium ......a reugium will help lots in a reef tank....

1- skimmer twice what's rated for your tank .
1-overflow with all the drain/return hoses, and a return pump .

* there are people that use canister filters but I don't know nobody personally lol.

(FYI) with a fowlr tank you don't need t5 lighting but in reef tanks you do as a minimum. And in reef tank it's best to keep ammonia/nitrite/nitrates/ all at zero! Where in a fowlr tank it can be more forgiving.

Well I have about 90lbs LR. A firefish and two occelaris clown fish. A clean up crew and a cleaner shrimp. I have a hob filter and t5 lighting already. So I need a sump?

Back
Top Bottom