Power Head In freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcontes77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I was wondering if it makes any differences to put power Head in a fresh water tank.
I have 2 20 G tank.

Thanks

Damien

Depends on what you're going for. I've always used them in some form or another. Either to power UGFs or just to create water flow. In my freshwater and Chiclid tanks I used them to create enough current to keep the food off the tank bottom for as long as possible, and set them to 'flush' dead spots from behind rock work etc.

***Duplicate Post Deleted by Bearfan***

You bet.

If I remember correctly...a Flowerhorn is a type of chiclid. My africans liked lots of current, and they do get nasty so the added flow will help your other filters pick up the detrius.

Yep and they are pretty messy.
Do you think the best spot will be 3 or 4 inches above the sand bed. Or more closer to the surface.
Thanks,

Damien

I always use powerheads for tanks over 45 gal or so, just to keep the water circulated well, usually just small powerheads, unless you get into river fish that like a lot of current, and then I'll step them up.

Where you place them in the tank really has more to do with dead spots. In a chiclid tank you want to make sure you have good flow all the way around the tank, especially behind any decor to help flush the detrius up and out.

What other kinds of filtration are you going to use?

I too was wondering about powerheads...being a novice!

Do I really need one in a beginner 30 gal. planted community tank that I plan to set up? The LFS tried to sell me one, but I decided to hold off until I researched it a little more.

Filther will be a EHEIM 2213 canister, lighting I plan to start at about 2 WPG. Fish and Plants not yet determined - but easy, fun and hearty for the first learning period.

P.S. How would you determine dead spots in the aquarium?

Dead spots are where there is little to no water flow. An easy way to check for them (much to the delight of your tank inhabitants) is to put some brine shrimp and tank water in a baster, then release the brine shrimp in different locations in your tank. If you notice the shrimp pretty much sink, that's a dead spot. Common locations would be behind objects, corners, away from filters, etc.

Back
Top Bottom