Power head or circulation pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltymex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I Have a 55 gal FOWLR an I was wanting some circulation an I'm kinda unsure. Like could I just get a powerhead an use it as my circulation pump. Or do I need a wavemaker.
Also does it need to run all te time or on a timer or what??

I would look at some koralias, around 750 or 1050 gph adn get two, one for each side. :)
They should run you maybe $40 or less on ebay. They have cheap knockoffs too but they won't stick to the tank like the koralia's will, they have a suction cup and magnet holding them.

Thank you. My LFS has a 550 for like 48$ I was hesitant to buy it so I'm glad I didn't. I've been about 2 1/2 mo without one so I'm def behind on it. But I just checked eBay so I'm puttin in a order tonight.

I also have another issue. When starting up my tank I went with crushed coral instead of live sand. Now 2 1/2 mo later i know that crushed coral is not the way to go. How should I go about switching/ adding live sand

You can easily swap it out over the course of a month. Just do 1/4 every water change for the next four weeks. :-D That way you won't lose the beneficial bacteria and critters in the sand all at once and possible shock the system.

Be sure to rinse the sand thoroughly before adding to avoid a massive sandstorm.You can use a siphon type device to get the sand to the sandbed to help even more.

Saltymex said:
Thank you. My LFS has a 550 for like 48$ I was hesitant to buy it so I'm glad I didn't. I've been about 2 1/2 mo without one so I'm def behind on it. But I just checked eBay so I'm puttin in a order tonight.

I also have another issue. When starting up my tank I went with crushed coral instead of live sand. Now 2 1/2 mo later i know that crushed coral is not the way to go. How should I go about switching/ adding live sand

What's wrong with crush coral ?

Back
Top Bottom