Power Head size for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philthefish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 200L tank with about 30-40lb of LR, Bakpak 2R skimmer and Eheim 2215 canister filter. I'm wanting to add a powerhead(s) for extra water circulation (the only circulation at the moment is from the filter return). What size powerhead should I be going for (L per Hour)?

Thanks
Phil

I have about the same tank size and I use two Maxi-Jet 1200 (one on each end) along with the pump from my sump and Magnum 350. I just added a 228 power sweep but have been disappointed in the performance of it compared to the Maxi-Jet ph. Overall you want to turn your tank over around 10-15 times per hour or more depending on what you plan to keep or in your case around a total of 2500 to 3000 liters per hour. Since your Eheim 2215 does around 600 liters per hour the two additional Maxi-Jets should be fine.

Also you may want to get about another 20 lbs of lr for your tank to help with filtration.

Edit:
Forgot to mention the Penguin 1140 Powerhead. It does 300 gph\ 1135.5 in Litres and is also a very reliable ph IMO. I have a 10 year old 1140 that I use to circulate and pump my premixed sw for pwc and it’s still going strong.

Thanks for that....I'll try and pick a couple up cheap on Ebay!

As for the additional LR, I'd never really intended using LR (hence the canister), but started picking up bits here and there until I got a great deal on about 20lb of it from a LFS that was closing down. Once I've got enough to filter the tank on its own, I plan to gradually reduce the amount of bio filtration media in the Eheim until it's empty and then decommission it. Does this sound sensible?

Sure but you may want to add another ph or two once you stop using the Eheim. I read your other post on the lr find :D That was a steal.

Back
Top Bottom