Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2004, 09:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

my two cents...I have three tanks and I have a Fluval for each one...my 29 gal has a fluval 303, my 55 gal has a fluval 404 and my 90 gal has a 404 also...i love the 404 easy to set up and maintain and I can't even hear them running..I don't even have them enclosed under a cabinet they are on the floor next to the tanks.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to aquazen
Someone once suggested that you can have one canister and one power filter. You don't need to restrict yourself to having 2 of one type when you can have one of each. In reaching your destination, remember the middle way. Ohm......ohm.......

Old 12-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazen
Someone once suggested that you can have one canister and one power filter. You don't need to restrict yourself to having 2 of one type when you can have one of each. In reaching your destination, remember the middle way. Ohm......ohm.......
Drat, aquazen, I was looking forward to viewing a tank made by someone who Ohms and has "zen" in their name... got any pics to put up in your gallery?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
I would agree with not having two same type of filter, my choice will be a Fluval and Magnum 250, Magnum 250 mostly use for carbon/circulating and come with micron catridge, which is nice when you need your tank crystal clear...
Old 12-17-2004, 11:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I haven't updated my pics for awhile, but you can check out the replanted tank here:

http://vernonschiu.multiply.com/

I've been doing a bit of re-scaping with the plants to make it look less cluttered. I'm still striving for the clean, minimalist, low maintenance look. I'll get there....one day. Ohm....ohm...
Old 12-18-2004, 10:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazen
Well, I haven't updated my pics for awhile, but you can check out the replanted tank here:

http://vernonschiu.multiply.com/

I've been doing a bit of re-scaping with the plants to make it look less cluttered. I'm still striving for the clean, minimalist, low maintenance look. I'll get there....one day. Ohm....ohm...
I really like that piece of wood - is it a fake? Haven't seen that online. Ordered two large pieces already, so I can't buy any more without overloading, but that's a neat little cave there.

I had thought about going very black/white/red where each part of the tank is one color (i.e. black sand, white ornaments, red fish).

OMG LOOK I ALREADY TALKING ABOUT A SECOND TANK! And I haven't even set up my first tank yet. I should be ashamed of myself.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also recommend the canister filtration system. We had a hob for about 6 months until we came across the Penn Plex Cascade 1000. It is VERY quiet and you can't even see it because of the greenery that we added. Canisters are nice because you don't see anything (if you position your plants correctly), you can't even hear them, and they tuck neatly in the stand. They are more expensive but your tank will look a lot nicer. The Cascade 1000 ended up costing about $80.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:38 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks alot this is been vary helpfull.
Liger 8)
Old 12-19-2004, 04:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I kept looking for branchy driftwood, but I couldn't find any in the LFS. So, while I was walking up and down the aisle in the fish decor area of Petsmart, I saw a tree root resin. It was just right! I wanted my tank to be 100% real, but I was unable to find the driftwood I wanted and went with the resin instead. It comes in several sizes. This one fits the 10 gallon. Pretty sweet.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:30 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love canisters for the ease of use, low noise level, powerful water circulation. I have used the bio-wheel HOB filters in tanks less than 30 gal and they work great! I like the Fluval canisters better than the magnums - and I have used both. However, the magnum is fantastic for charcoal filtration - my old one came with a chanber that you can pour the charcoal in that worked great. Hope they still make them like that. Magnum was not as durable or easy as a Fluval, which is why I bought two Fluval 404's for my new 55 gal setup.

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com