Power vs Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know this is not the first time this has been asked but Im starting a 75 gal and i dont know what is better Power filter Like the Emperor 400 or a Canister Filter Like the Magnum 350;

Well Im trying to figure out what filter system I want to use. Now the fish man Mat tells me that I need to filter the water in my tank 8 to 10 times a hour so two Emperor 400s would do the job but he dosent know anything about Canister Filters.
After talking to Justin the other fish guy I went on line and fond that the Magnum 350 Pro System witch has the two BIO-Wheel 60 but I can get the Power Filters for alot cheaper.

1:What I want to know is why are the canisters better and would I need two of the Magnum 350 for the 75 gal tank?

2:What is the maintenance and how often for the canisters?
Liger

Well, I don't know anything about canister filters, I guess I am too cheap and lazy to check them out :lol: But I totally agree about filtering your water 10 times per hour. I use an Emperor 400 and an Emperor 280 on my 55 gallon and my water stays really clear. If I were you I would take the cheap and easy route and just get 2 Emperor 400s, but I'm sure lots of others will tell you to go for the canisters. Good luck with your new tank! :)

A single Emperor 400 would keep your tank tidy.
As filters they are a little primitive and a lot noisy but for Fresh Water they really seem to do the trick with the biowheels. I have been running a pair for about 6 months hassle free. Each week or so I just rinse the media in water I have drawn off the tank.
The Magnum look like nice though. One feature that looks good about the magnums is that nothing is supposed to get by the filter media--not the case with the Emperors. Jeff

Hi there!

I am a total newbie too, Liger - been learning a lot here. Just wanted to let you know I've done a bit of research on my own and I decided that a canister filter is a better choice for me because I'm kind of lazy and I don't want to run to the bathroom all the time (meaning: canisters won't require maintenance as often and they are quieter lol). Price-wise they are more expensive, but I found Eheim classic canisters for about $73 at Big Al's (http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22019&category_id=1711&pcid1=2885) though you'll need the next step up for a 75 gal tank.

Not that I'm an expert at all, just thought I'd share - hope it help you make the decision for what's best for you :)

BTW, welcome to the forum!

I swear by the 350 and have used them for FW and SW. I would defiantly go with the bio wheel option. The emperor is OK as well, but more filter pads to change and a pair of them would take up most of the space on the back of the tank.

When I had my 75 Gal set up I used the 350 with 2 bio wheels. Later I added a 250 hot mag as I started to get into Discus.

Depending on the fish load you are planning you can probably start with one filter. If you chose to heavily stock then add more filtration. Cycling the water 10xhour is more of an ideal. I always used 5x as a rule with the more the better.

depending on how you aqua scape remember your water volume is actually going to be something less than 75 gal.

Depending on what kind of setup you are planning an undergravel filter with powerheads might be something to investigate to aid you bio filtration. When first getting into the hobby I used this option, but later discarded as I moved into live plants.

Good luck,

Thanks guys All Im going to have is
1- Needle Fish
1-snail
So not to much in their
But I also plan to use lots of live plants.
Liger

If you get a canister filter I wouldn't get the magnum 350. They are a pain to set up unless you are an expert.

If you plan to do live plants stay away from an undergravel and do some research before you set up the tank. As there are a number of things you can do during setup such as adding laterite to your substate that will make plants much more successful.

What ever you decide I would go with a canister. I have had several Magnums with no problems and do not consider myself an expert. If you do decide to go with canister whichever brand check into quick disconnects for the in take and out take tubes. For the cost it will make your life a lot easier.

Good luck,

I have two friends that willl be helping me set it up thay work at petsmart for the fish. But I wanted an unbiased opinion.
Thanks Liger

my two cents...I have three tanks and I have a Fluval for each one...my 29 gal has a fluval 303, my 55 gal has a fluval 404 and my 90 gal has a 404 also...i love the 404 easy to set up and maintain and I can't even hear them running..I don't even have them enclosed under a cabinet they are on the floor next to the tanks.

Someone once suggested that you can have one canister and one power filter. You don't need to restrict yourself to having 2 of one type when you can have one of each. In reaching your destination, remember the middle way. Ohm......ohm....... :fadein:

aquazen said:
Someone once suggested that you can have one canister and one power filter. You don't need to restrict yourself to having 2 of one type when you can have one of each. In reaching your destination, remember the middle way. Ohm......ohm....... :fadein:

Drat, aquazen, I was looking forward to viewing a tank made by someone who Ohms and has "zen" in their name... got any pics to put up in your gallery?

I would agree with not having two same type of filter, my choice will be a Fluval and Magnum 250, Magnum 250 mostly use for carbon/circulating and come with micron catridge, which is nice when you need your tank crystal clear...

Well, I haven't updated my pics for awhile, but you can check out the replanted tank here:

http://vernonschiu.multiply.com/

I've been doing a bit of re-scaping with the plants to make it look less cluttered. I'm still striving for the clean, minimalist, low maintenance look. I'll get there....one day. Ohm....ohm... :yin:

aquazen said:
Well, I haven't updated my pics for awhile, but you can check out the replanted tank here:

http://vernonschiu.multiply.com/

I've been doing a bit of re-scaping with the plants to make it look less cluttered. I'm still striving for the clean, minimalist, low maintenance look. I'll get there....one day. Ohm....ohm... :yin:

I really like that piece of wood - is it a fake? Haven't seen that online. Ordered two large pieces already, so I can't buy any more without overloading, but that's a neat little cave there.

I had thought about going very black/white/red where each part of the tank is one color (i.e. black sand, white ornaments, red fish).

:eek2: OMG LOOK I ALREADY TALKING ABOUT A SECOND TANK! And I haven't even set up my first tank yet. I should be ashamed of myself.

I also recommend the canister filtration system. We had a hob for about 6 months until we came across the Penn Plex Cascade 1000. It is VERY quiet and you can't even see it because of the greenery that we added. Canisters are nice because you don't see anything (if you position your plants correctly), you can't even hear them, and they tuck neatly in the stand. They are more expensive but your tank will look a lot nicer. The Cascade 1000 ended up costing about $80.

Thanks alot this is been vary helpfull.
Liger 8)

I kept looking for branchy driftwood, but I couldn't find any in the LFS. So, while I was walking up and down the aisle in the fish decor area of Petsmart, I saw a tree root resin. It was just right! I wanted my tank to be 100% real, but I was unable to find the driftwood I wanted and went with the resin instead. It comes in several sizes. This one fits the 10 gallon. Pretty sweet. :)

I love canisters for the ease of use, low noise level, powerful water circulation. I have used the bio-wheel HOB filters in tanks less than 30 gal and they work great! I like the Fluval canisters better than the magnums - and I have used both. However, the magnum is fantastic for charcoal filtration - my old one came with a chanber that you can pour the charcoal in that worked great. Hope they still make them like that. Magnum was not as durable or easy as a Fluval, which is why I bought two Fluval 404's for my new 55 gal setup.

Back
Top Bottom