Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2004, 06:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Power vs Canister Filters

I know this is not the first time this has been asked but Im starting a 75 gal and i dont know what is better Power filter Like the Emperor 400 or a Canister Filter Like the Magnum 350;

Well Im trying to figure out what filter system I want to use. Now the fish man Mat tells me that I need to filter the water in my tank 8 to 10 times a hour so two Emperor 400s would do the job but he dosent know anything about Canister Filters.
After talking to Justin the other fish guy I went on line and fond that the Magnum 350 Pro System witch has the two BIO-Wheel 60 but I can get the Power Filters for alot cheaper.

1:What I want to know is why are the canisters better and would I need two of the Magnum 350 for the 75 gal tank?

2:What is the maintenance and how often for the canisters?
Liger

Old 12-16-2004, 10:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I don't know anything about canister filters, I guess I am too cheap and lazy to check them out But I totally agree about filtering your water 10 times per hour. I use an Emperor 400 and an Emperor 280 on my 55 gallon and my water stays really clear. If I were you I would take the cheap and easy route and just get 2 Emperor 400s, but I'm sure lots of others will tell you to go for the canisters. Good luck with your new tank!

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A single Emperor 400 would keep your tank tidy.
As filters they are a little primitive and a lot noisy but for Fresh Water they really seem to do the trick with the biowheels. I have been running a pair for about 6 months hassle free. Each week or so I just rinse the media in water I have drawn off the tank.
The Magnum look like nice though. One feature that looks good about the magnums is that nothing is supposed to get by the filter media--not the case with the Emperors. Jeff
Old 12-16-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi there!

I am a total newbie too, Liger - been learning a lot here. Just wanted to let you know I've done a bit of research on my own and I decided that a canister filter is a better choice for me because I'm kind of lazy and I don't want to run to the bathroom all the time (meaning: canisters won't require maintenance as often and they are quieter lol). Price-wise they are more expensive, but I found Eheim classic canisters for about $73 at Big Al's (http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...711&pcid1=2885) though you'll need the next step up for a 75 gal tank.

Not that I'm an expert at all, just thought I'd share - hope it help you make the decision for what's best for you

BTW, welcome to the forum!
Old 12-16-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I swear by the 350 and have used them for FW and SW. I would defiantly go with the bio wheel option. The emperor is OK as well, but more filter pads to change and a pair of them would take up most of the space on the back of the tank.

When I had my 75 Gal set up I used the 350 with 2 bio wheels. Later I added a 250 hot mag as I started to get into Discus.

Depending on the fish load you are planning you can probably start with one filter. If you chose to heavily stock then add more filtration. Cycling the water 10xhour is more of an ideal. I always used 5x as a rule with the more the better.

depending on how you aqua scape remember your water volume is actually going to be something less than 75 gal.

Depending on what kind of setup you are planning an undergravel filter with powerheads might be something to investigate to aid you bio filtration. When first getting into the hobby I used this option, but later discarded as I moved into live plants.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks guys All Im going to have is
1- Needle Fish
1-snail
So not to much in their
But I also plan to use lots of live plants.
Liger
Old 12-16-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you get a canister filter I wouldn't get the magnum 350. They are a pain to set up unless you are an expert.

15 (2 Bronze Corys, 4 Albino Corys, Black Molly)

30 (Breeder) (Blood Parrot, 1 Tiger Barbs, 3 Clown Loaches)

Pictures of my tanks
mayreee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have you considered a Filstar XP or a Eheim canister filter? From what I have read here and elswhere, they are both better than the magnum.

They have pretty good prices on both here: http://www.bigalsonline.com
Old 12-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you plan to do live plants stay away from an undergravel and do some research before you set up the tank. As there are a number of things you can do during setup such as adding laterite to your substate that will make plants much more successful.

What ever you decide I would go with a canister. I have had several Magnums with no problems and do not consider myself an expert. If you do decide to go with canister whichever brand check into quick disconnects for the in take and out take tubes. For the cost it will make your life a lot easier.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have two friends that willl be helping me set it up thay work at petsmart for the fish. But I wanted an unbiased opinion.
Thanks Liger

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com