Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to sHistA
powerhead

wat is a ok powerhead for a 44 gal tank?? and do i just put the powerhead enywere i want in the tank?

Old 09-25-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What else are you having in your tank as far as water movement. If the only thing your going to use for water movement I would suggest 3 or 4 powerheads so as to develop an nice random flow of currents.

Maxijet's and Hagen powerheads are my preference.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have a pump with an airstone , a emperior filter a and a sea clone 100 protien skimmer and i was thinking of getting 2 powerheads. but were should i put them behind the rock ??
Old 09-25-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

if i get 2 how much GPH should each one be?? for a 44 galon
Old 09-25-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

You want to turn over 10 times your gallons per hour, so 10 x 44 = 440 gallons per hour.
2½g FW - son's goldfish
110g SW
Macmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I have 2 maxi jet 1200s in my 37 gal, I'm turning over close to 20gpa. In a reef tank you want lots of movement, 15 is a good number. The maxijet 1200s put out 295 gpa each. I would go with 2 of them. Aiming both toward to middle to get a sort of chaotic flow of random currents. I, along with MANY people praise the maxijet line of powerheads. Good luck!
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 45. I have 2 zoomed ph's(don't buy these, not bad but not good) at opposite ends of the tank blowing towards the top that cause surface agitation. I have 2 maxi 1200's on opposite ends blowing down towards the substrate. I'm getting about 2 turnover in the tank which is about the maximum recommended. The current is not bad enough where the fish have a hard time swimming though.

Be sure to have at least one pointing towards the surface for gas exchange and to prevent the 'oil slick' on the surface. One on the bottom to move water over the lr/ls for biological filtration.

Also, many recommend not using the airstone because it causes a lot of salt creep.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would recommend two Maxi Jet 1200's. that's what I run in my 40gallon, plus an AC mini HOB for occasional mechanical filtration..and it all works great.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dittto on the Maxijet's.

Mike

Tags
powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com