powerhead advice for FW 50gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My boyfriend has a 50gal NW cichlid tank (and a few idiot barbs) and the substrate is fairly course sand. For filtration he has two AC 70's but water isn't really moving much thru the tank so he's considering one of the Koralia powerheads. The trouble is in deciding how many gph he should get, either 400 or 600. The tank isn't planted although he's considering changing it around in the future.

Which powerhead would people recommend, a little less than 10gph per gallon or a bit more?

Thanks!

you dont need alot of flow, get the 400.

I use aquaclear 20 powerheads for water movement in my planted 52g tank. It gives it just enough current yet gentle enough not to disturb a thing. Worried about sand in it, get a ac20 HOB sponge and cut a hole in it.

To be honest get the cheapest brand name one you can find, you really do not need a strong one with cichlids they come from slow moving creeks not fast currents. I have my AC20PH set right to the left of the AC70HOB outlet shooting into the clean AC70 water at a 90 degree angle 2" below the surface, Doing this, it directs the water clear to the other side of the tank and yes you can see the water coming back at lower and higher levels then the PH itself is.

Awesome, thanks for the info & the quick reply (hoping to place a massive order for stuff tonight). I understand the benefits to directing the powerhead towards the outflow from the AC's but he's planning to keep it just a few inches above the substrate, hoping that this will keep the poo & algae from getting settled into the sand. Recently had a sudden spike in ammonia though no changes had been made to the tank. After giving him some biomedia from both of my tanks and no improvement, he did a massive cleaning of the substrate and the ammonia disappeared. He's hopeful that the motion will prevent this. Any thoughts on whether it will work?

id say it would probably push the sand too... my pfs is heavy, never gets sucked up when doing a gravel vac, but i stuck a powerhead in mine about 6" up and it still pushed the sand

Itll blow that sand all over the place at that level. Its better to have it low yes however even gravel will get blown around. You are looking at 4x the normal flow for that tank, If I remember right those powerheads are able to be aimed, he can place it that low but if he is perpendicular to the substrate under 10" in distance the sand will blow around still.

If I remember right those powerheads are able to be aimed, he can place it that low but if he is perpendicular to the substrate under 10" in distance the sand will blow around still.

Judging by the pictures, it does look like you can aim the Koralia powerheads. Do you mean it should be placed a foot or so above the substrate, pointing downwards? Also, how much of the substrate will be displaced - enough so that nothing ever settles & there's a crater in the substrate, or you just notice some movement along the bottom?

If anyone has suggestions on what might work better to keep nasties from settling down, please let me know!

I use a Koralia Nano in my 56g planted tank. It is a wonderful piece of equipment I would buy again. You can aim them and mine sits about one foot off the floor and doesnt disturb the substrate. You gotta turn it off to feed, but other than that it is the best thing ive ever bought. For the money you cant beat them.

Current doesnt go on an angle, I always have my currents horizontal in the tank. I use upper levels because it helps get the Co2 rich water at the surface mixed in.

Koralia's do have to be turned off at feeding, I forgot that part one of the reasons I just went with the aquaclear one.

Thanks. What's different between the Koralia & the AquaClear that one needs to be turned off for feeding and the other does not?

the reason you turn them off when feeding is because the food will go everywhere if you dont

That I understand totally, although it would be funny a time or two to see the fish scramble. My question was mostly to WhiteDevil then, who I thought meant that the AC powerhead was preferable because it did not need to be turned off during feeding time.

I dont turn mine off to feed, no point really. The food goes everywhere yes but no one seems to mind and its more natural feeding to let them scramble for it. Gives em exercise they normally dont get. The way I use my powerhead is with the supplied rimlip bracket, it lowers it from 3-4" into the tank, no need to shut it down for feeding since the HOB waterfalls pushes the food everywhere anyways.

Most fish chase down their food, only a select few regularly wait for the food to come to them. Mostly predators.

Back
Top Bottom