Powerhead caught on fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megs0628

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all my powerhead in my saltwater tank starting smoking and smelled like burnt plastic. Now all my fish shrimp etc.. are all dead and the water still stinks. Has anyone ever heard of this before I am not even sure if i can salvage my live rock.Any advice would be appreciated

It was petco brand king 6500 I am so upset I have had it up and running for about 10 years

I'm so sorry to hear this. i really am. That totally stinks.

I would get some water mixed up and move your live rock while you drain the tank. Do you have corals?

the tank has been up for 10 years powerhead is about a year and a half old

I have alot of mushrooms and polyps and rock is covered w/ coralline

Yeah, I would def try to get them out as soon as possible. Might be able to salvage it.

I wish you luck!!

That's horrible! :( I hope you can save some of your stock, (that is if it's not too late)!

It's bad enough that there are posts on here about recalls due to heaters exploding and now powerheads are melting!! I would definitely contact the manufacturers and make them aware of what happened. At least that way they will document it in case others contact them about the same thing.

I wish you the best of luck!!

I had a heater do that, but it was running dry, and it didn't actually catch on fire. Just steamed andmelted the suction cups holding it. Then I quickly realized it and thankfully stopped it. I'm sorry for what happened. Any chance it was running dry?

I've had a few heaters blow up from temperature shock (when draining the tank for moving, and not thinking..) but the glass breaks smoothly, and usually nothing bad happens there. The worst thing I saw happen was something like a light fixture started a fire, which caused the tank to burst, which ruined 1 or more rooms. It was on here 1-2 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom