Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

100% absolutely. I'm nearly convinced that I could've used one in my 54 gallon.

I have two and they are turned down to 60% so essentially just over one's capacity.

A good rule is 40 - 50x per hour flow for a reef so 35*40(50)= 1400 - 1750. An MP10 is 1500gph so right on track. I wouldn't spend another $285 for 100gph of flow which is nearly a fish's tail-whip!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoevangelist
I'm so nervous about getting one and it not being enough then want to upgrade later.
Why are you nervous? They're free shipping, so what would you lose? A few days for shipping ain't nothing if thats what you decide, but Im sure you'll be happy.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's $350 for one mp10es here. The wireless is nearly $400. Prices are high because of import tax.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gotcha - so 350 for one or $800 for two to work separately. Decision made
Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops - I meant work together... Anyway, 100% not worth it. If you had a 75 gallon or something sure, but anything under 50 gallon, there is no way I'm dropping another $450 for minimal flow difference.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do appreciate all the advice. My Ehiem 3000 return is 1500-3000 gph. I'm guessing I'm not seeing all of that. I do have leather and polyp growth over the past few months. The main reason for the addition is better water quality and boost the water flow to get any dead spots. I would order directly from TB Aquatics but I fear the import tax. The online vendor was on echotech's website for authorized vendor in Korea and he speaks English, which is a plus. I'm guessing he gets a good profit but less than if I ordered on my own. He tried to get me to get two of the mp10s or one mp40. I really appreciate all advice you al have given me! If I order the mp10, it'll be here the next day since he has it in stock.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I made a mistake on the Ehiem it's 3000 liters per hour, not gallons. It's only 400-800 gph.

After some bargaining on the price and research on another forum, I decided to make the giant leap for 2 mp10wES. I'm getting them at cost (amazon price+international shipping rates) without the import tax. So i figured it wasn't a bad deal. I'd only do better if someone flew over and physically brought them to me. They'll be here tomorrow or the next day.

Several 28-35g owners on another forum had expressed their desire to have a second mp10 in their tank. I think that really persuaded me.

I hope I'll be happy!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That will be too much flow. I have 2 mp10s in a 57 and could have got by with one. They are both set at only~40% of max speed and my flow is still ridiculous.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

So I got my mp10wes, installed one (in case I wanted to return the other), and put in on full power (as standard instillation process) when things literally FLEW across the tank! I upset my corals, so I tuned it down all the way and have gradually turned it up a few steps. I now understand why I was suggested two, having them synced would make for a great feature. And I also understand why many have suggested only one.

One of my torches (almost directly under the power head) really loves the flow. I had no idea it was so long! It's flowing like massive hair!

I'm debating whether I should open this second power head up or not. I'd kind of like to see how the corals respond until over the weekend before opening the box or returning it.

I think if I installed the other one, and set them on one of the lowest settings I would get some great movement on the corals, especially the Jasmines in the middle of the tank.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I like the Hydor's. I have never used the Vortech but I have seen where some people say they have a def noise they make being the motor is on the outside of the tank

Tags
powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com