Powerhead decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Photoevangelist

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is nearly 35g, not quite a cube (65 cm x 45 cm x 45 cm). I have an Ehiem 3000 returning water from the sump so flow is decent in the middle of the back of the tank.

I have no idea what kind of flow I need. Softy and LPS corals., leathers, polyps, torches.

Should I add a power head?

Thinking (2) vortech mp10wES
Or (1) vortech mp40
Or coralife power head set
Or hydor nano set

What do people think would be the best, without overdoing it?

I'm planning to add one MP10 to my biocube here shortly. A huge selling point is the range of flow they can put out, and the modes. The range will allow you to dial in what your corals need, and the modes will allow you to only need one PH opposed to two opposite each other.

The online dealer recommended I get two of the MP10wES. He's the only authorized dealer for vortech in Korea. I thought one would be enough too. I'll post his responses to my email. Prices are a bit high (exchange rate and import taxes) but I think it's cheaper than if I bought it directly from amazon.com. Actually, I bought something recently through TB Aquatics since they ship internationally.

From online dealer:
But, If you are planning to use only 1 MP10ES in your tank

I recommend to use Coralife DC motors instead of VorTech

It's almost same price to 1 unit of MP10ES but it has 2 pumps with controller

Also you can select 2 Hydor and AC controller instead of MP10ES

Because I recommend to use 2 x MP10wES (not MP10ES) in your tank

to utilize its function 100%

Also if you use 1xMP10ES in your aquarium

it must be caused durability problem later

So I replied and asked him about having just one MP40 (if it would have the same durability issues).

This is part of his response:

It's also recommendable to think about 1xMP40wES

and I prefer MP40 rather than MP10 because it has much more robust design in it

- It uses more components than MP10 to hold shaft and it give better durability

My vote is for a single vortech. :)

i have a cube tank that is 24 X 24 and will be using a single mp10 for it. The mp40 would be way overkill in my opinion. You'd have it turned so far down you might as well have the mp10. LOL

If you don't want to spend a fortune on a vortech though i have found koralia units to be top notch and use them in all my tanks. :)

100% absolutely. I'm nearly convinced that I could've used one in my 54 gallon.

I have two and they are turned down to 60% so essentially just over one's capacity.

A good rule is 40 - 50x per hour flow for a reef so 35*40(50)= 1400 - 1750. An MP10 is 1500gph so right on track. I wouldn't spend another $285 for 100gph of flow which is nearly a fish's tail-whip!

Photoevangelist said:
I'm so nervous about getting one and it not being enough then want to upgrade later.

Why are you nervous? They're free shipping, so what would you lose? A few days for shipping ain't nothing if thats what you decide, but Im sure you'll be happy.

It's $350 for one mp10es here. The wireless is nearly $400. Prices are high because of import tax.

Oops - I meant work together... Anyway, 100% not worth it. If you had a 75 gallon or something sure, but anything under 50 gallon, there is no way I'm dropping another $450 for minimal flow difference.

I do appreciate all the advice. My Ehiem 3000 return is 1500-3000 gph. I'm guessing I'm not seeing all of that. I do have leather and polyp growth over the past few months. The main reason for the addition is better water quality and boost the water flow to get any dead spots. I would order directly from TB Aquatics but I fear the import tax. The online vendor was on echotech's website for authorized vendor in Korea and he speaks English, which is a plus. I'm guessing he gets a good profit but less than if I ordered on my own. He tried to get me to get two of the mp10s or one mp40. I really appreciate all advice you al have given me! If I order the mp10, it'll be here the next day since he has it in stock.

I made a mistake on the Ehiem it's 3000 liters per hour, not gallons. It's only 400-800 gph.

After some bargaining on the price and research on another forum, I decided to make the giant leap for 2 mp10wES. I'm getting them at cost (amazon price+international shipping rates) without the import tax. So i figured it wasn't a bad deal. I'd only do better if someone flew over and physically brought them to me. They'll be here tomorrow or the next day.

Several 28-35g owners on another forum had expressed their desire to have a second mp10 in their tank. I think that really persuaded me.

I hope I'll be happy!

That will be too much flow. I have 2 mp10s in a 57 and could have got by with one. They are both set at only~40% of max speed and my flow is still ridiculous.

So I got my mp10wes, installed one (in case I wanted to return the other), and put in on full power (as standard instillation process) when things literally FLEW across the tank! I upset my corals, so I tuned it down all the way and have gradually turned it up a few steps. I now understand why I was suggested two, having them synced would make for a great feature. And I also understand why many have suggested only one.

One of my torches (almost directly under the power head) really loves the flow. I had no idea it was so long! It's flowing like massive hair!

I'm debating whether I should open this second power head up or not. I'd kind of like to see how the corals respond until over the weekend before opening the box or returning it.

I think if I installed the other one, and set them on one of the lowest settings I would get some great movement on the corals, especially the Jasmines in the middle of the tank.

I like the Hydor's. I have never used the Vortech but I have seen where some people say they have a def noise they make being the motor is on the outside of the tank

Back
Top Bottom