Powerhead Diffuser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there's a small inlet for air just upstream of the outlet from your powerhead. you can insert the CO2 line in there.
but i don't know the efficiency of diffusion through this method.

i thought that was suppose to be the best way, but the ph of the c02 or something will mess up the impeller. (i think powerheads heave impellers :/

i think the co2 won't come in contact with the impeller directly. the current is too strong for co2 to diffuse upstream and cause any problems.
i have been running this for about 3 months now. but recently added a small gravel vac tube at the outlet with sponges to aid the process of diffusion.

One of the best ways is to plumb the CO2 line into a canister filter outflow, but otherwise constructing a gravel vac tube/powerhead driven diffuser is an extremely efficient way to get the most out of your bubbles.

Here is one I purchased, but could have made myself if I had not been impatient (pic courtesy of Floridadriftwood.com):

Power_reactor.jpg

I agree with TankGirl.....that is a very efficient diffuser.
However, you can run the CO2 line into the intake on the bottom of most power heads and it will chop up the bubble and spit them out as a mist.
There are a number of things you can do to increase the efficiency on the out flow side, but you will get good absorption with just the power head, especially if it's aimed toward the bottom of the tank or set down low in the tank. This gives the mist more time to be absorbed into the water table.
BTW, the CO2 will have no negative affect on the impeller of a filter or power head.
I've been using these methods for years with no ill affect.

Len

Back
Top Bottom