Powerhead GPH , 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have 2 powerheads already and I'm not sure what GPH they are but I wanted to buy one more. I was looking to get a dual powerhead one but how much GPH is good for a 40 gallon bowfront? How weak is a 950 GPH powerhead? I want something somewhat strong but not too strong.

I wouldnt go over 750 gph on a powerhead in your tank. And thats even pushing it lol. They make 550's now from koralia.....

hehe, i bought my current powerheads off of craigslist so thats why I dont know what GPH they are. I'm somewhat thinking the guy said 900's but I guess thats not right, they feel kinda weak.

I just wanted to get some super turbulent water in my tank :) but I'll see what I can do. Maybe i'll go to the LFS and see one in action. thanks carey

oh carey you are too sweet :)

theres the two powerheads, they're aimed towards that center rock thats sticking forward. I wanted to get some flow into the back of the tank as well as the sides just because it doesn't seem to receive much flow.

Attachments

• powerhead pic.jpg
    powerhead pic.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 672
also, omg I wish I could get anthias ): but they all say they need 70+ gallon tank

Those look like nice power heads. Did you check the sticker on them? Mine have the gph or model number usually. :)

And yeah, I thought there were 50g anthias available but it does say 70g for all of them. I loved the one I had, thinking on getting another one one day soon.

I guess what would be the clever thing to do :p , I'll try and see what I'm working at when I get home.

Based on the picture though, what do you think about adding some powerheads for some flow through the back of the tank? It's very confusing when buying corals, they say the corals want moderate flow but when I put them in the stronger flow they don't do as well

I probably wouldnt add another powerhead if it were my tank. two should be adequate and the ones you have look to be big ones so i can only guess they are pushing alot of water. You shouldnt be placing corals in the direct flow of the powerheads though, well usually anyways. You can adjust the postioning of the powerheads or the placement of the coral. it may take some time to get the perfect setup but you'll get there. :-D

Back
Top Bottom