Powerhead or airstone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this a noob question but what is the point of a Powerhead in a fw tank?

I know this a noob question but what is the point of a Powerhead in a fw tank?

Well some fish like more current kinda like corals in saltwater. Is it a waste of money for the fish? Probably because they don't have to have it. But it does help move debris around on the bottom of a tank so that the filters can pick it up. They will also create more surface movement for better gas and oxygen exchange. That is all an air stone does it makes surface movement and adds the looks of bubbles.

my ciclids love the water moving
plus never liked the bubbles
circulates the water more also
both my 2 fresh
and my 3 salt
all have power heads
plus I keep them hidden behind rocks or plants

I have airstones

I have never seen the point in power heads ok so they move water but you may as well use a internal filter with a defuser then at least you or getting the benefit of extra filteraton

Andrew McFadden said:
Well some fish like more current kinda like corals in saltwater. Is it a waste of money for the fish? Probably because they don't have to have it. But it does help move debris around on the bottom of a tank so that the filters can pick it up. They will also create more surface movement for better gas and oxygen exchange. That is all an air stone does it makes surface movement and adds the looks of bubbles.

That's a pretty good purpose for a Powerhead. I'm not even sure where I'd place the air stone. A Powerhead just sits on the side of an aquarium.

What kind of Powerhead would be good for a 50 gallon?

54seaweed said:
my ciclids love the water moving
plus never liked the bubbles
circulates the water more also
both my 2 fresh
and my 3 salt
all have power heads
plus I keep them hidden behind rocks or plants

Is it better to place them on the bottom or the top?

That's a pretty good purpose for a Powerhead. I'm not even sure where I'd place the air stone. A Powerhead just sits on the side of an aquarium.

What kind of Powerhead would be good for a 50 gallon?

Wherever you can stick it. If you seen my tank you wouldn't even know they was there, I put a lot of thought into them.

I haven't put of a lot thought into it. I actually don't mind the look of Powerheads

Is it better to place them on the bottom or the top?

depending on the size and shape of the tank along with the aqua scape
helps in figuring out the best place to put it and if it can be more hidden or not

some of my tanks have them near the surface some have them about 1/2 way down
the ones I have on the very bottom help with the messy eaters keeping the tank cleaner
it basically is up to you to figure what is best for that particular tank
placement vary s no 2 tanks have the same aqua scaping or lay out (y)

i have one at the top left back corner pointed diagonally across the tank in the same direction as my output of my canister filter and another at the right back corner pointing straight up to the surface about 500-700gph a piece. my mbuna love it

Back
Top Bottom