Powerhead or water pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do you use to mix your saltwater?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use powerheads to mix my salt in with my ro/di water. I use two 800gph ones but i am mixing in a 32g trash can. lol

I use powerheads to mix my salt in with my ro/di water. I use two 800gph ones but i am mixing in a 32g trash can. lol

I use a 28 gallon tote, so don't feel too bad. :p

Looks like powerheads are more popular. I was using a 427gph water pump, and I think that it may have received some of that sandy gunk that usually accompanies salt mix (Red Sea pro). I had it sitting in the bottom and on 24/7, but then it just stopped working. I cleaned it thoroughly, but won't even make a sound when plugged in. Has anyone else seen this? I may go with a powerhead next time. My saltwater is sealed, but not circulating... I really hope it doesn't go bad, it may be a couple weeks before I can get a powerhead.

Try taking the cover off and plug the pump in for a moment. If the coil is good the impeller should move a little or rattle. If not try to turn it. You should feel resistance. If no movement or resistance the pump is gone. Good luck!

Took it back to the store. They took it apart and the porcelain stick that goes in the impeller was practically glued. It took some effort and cleaning, but good as new.

Back
Top Bottom