Powerhead or wavemaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalikingsmoke

Aquarium Advice Activist
So ive been looking for a powerhead or wavemaker for my 80 gallon cichlid tank but I dont know were to start.... what do I need what should I get? Ive seen some nice cheap ones on ebay but idk what I need I dont have a huge budget for one..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am not a fw person really but if you feel one is necessary then just get a powerhead. Wavemakers are for sw and I wouldn't see a need to create randomized flow in a fw tank. Maxi jets are good for flow in a single direction.

I was thinking of getting a hydro koralia, $30 Amazon. There are YouTube vids of them

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
they do look good for the price.... how would i know what rating to get? i have a 80 gallon tank or i think 75 idk forsure but i know its in that range.... what sould i get so its a nice flow keeps debrise from settling but not too much for the fish?

I have a hydro... It is great ... If u have a lot of rock in the tank it helps during maint. To blow out all the dead spots and the fish love swimming against the current

would a Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump/Powerhead 600 gph be good with keeping everything going and the bottem clean or would it be too much?

Wavemakers are for sw and I wouldn't see a need to create randomized flow in a fw tank.

And for FW...(y) If they are african cichild that is....The need at least for my aquarium is that i wont have any dead spot with the wave maker or less to none...

well i need to make the purchase today is 600gph too much for my 80 gallon or could i do with more? i need it to help with the mess on the sand... anyone?

I wasnt abel to get one my budget changed.... I saw some cheap ones on ebay and I was kinda considering one of those.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom