Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Powerhead problem

Can anyone tell me HOW you get your powerhead suction cups to stay stuck to the wall of the tank? I have having the worst problem with the PH's falling. I have scrapped the tank wall, cleaned the suction cups, bought NEW suction cups, on and on and they still do not want to stick. Any secret?

Old 04-14-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hold them in place for 10-15 seconds, works about half the time. I've heard of people having good results using half of a Mag-float to hold PH's in place. It's an on going battle for me too....

Old 04-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I finally started useing the hooks that come with them.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I finally started useing the hooks that come with them.
I'd like to, but they will not work w/ a canopy.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just replace the suction cups every few months. The SW really causes them to harden and crack.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You need to be ceative

I use the hook that comes with Maxijets. I have a canopy so I can't hook it on the lip though. If you have installed blinds in a house, most come with a plastic piece that holds a trim piece on - I never use them for the blind. They fit pretty good on the tank lip and it has a little hook on it that I use zip tie on to hold it to the maxijet hook.

You could easily use a small piece of acrylic and bend it to make an L, then use the weight of the canopy to hold it in place. A drilled hole and a zip tie will do the rest.

BTW, when I use the Maxijet hook, I also use the 3 suction cup with it. You can slip the hook in the PH and then zip tie the suction cup to the base of the hook. The top of the hook sits right underneath tank lip.

I can take a pic if needed tonight. This is not perfect because the PH will tilt down a bit and if the suction breaks, they will move a bit but it does keep the PH from hitting the sand bed. We all know that sucks!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I can take a pic if needed tonight
If you don't mind, I'd like to see a pic. I thought someone would have some more creative ideas .
Old 04-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can use your power cord to hold them up as well. Pull your cord taught and zip tie it to something. Then when your suction cups fail your cord will still hold it up.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'll try and get a pic tonight.

The power cord trick works too but with using the hook and the suction cups, the PH stays in place with no suction cups attached. With just the power cord holding it up, the PH will most likely blow in a different direction.

I love zip ties
Old 04-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You can use your power cord to hold them up as well
That's what I do so they don't hit the sand/ anemones when the suction cups let go. Still a pain in the...LOL

Tags
powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com