powerhead pump capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nilesh7318

Aquarium Advice Regular
i would like to buy a powerhead pump to make a DIY canister filter. the maximum pumping height is mentioned on the pump packaging. do i choose the pump with more pumping height than i require. for example if 1 require a height of 1 meter, i would choose something more than this like 1.5 meters.

can anyone help.

This is somewhat of a loaded question. What you really want to consider is how big is your tank, how heavy is your bio load, and then you can worry about head pressure.
For example, let's say you have a 50 gallon tank and have a small bio load. You want to turn over your volume 4-6 times and hour. So, you're looking for a pump that can flow between 200-300 gallons an hour at the head pressure you got.
If you have a heavy bio load, you wanna turn your volume over at 10 times an hour, so now you'll need a pump that'll flow 500gph at required head pressure.

In you have a true canister filter, then you will have a closed loop system and therefore no true head height. You might have some resistance from curves in the tubing and the media, but the actual height isn't really a factor beyond higher resistance due to longer tubing.

Won't it be hard to make a canister filter as it will need to be pressurised

Also if it not pressurised wouldn't it just be a sump

If you are trying to work out the exact flow rate then its very hard if not impossible to get the balance right with drain and return so if its not resurfaced your taking big risks

But that said I don't know how far you are with the project

In you have a true canister filter, then you will have a closed loop system and therefore no true head height. You might have some resistance from curves in the tubing and the media, but the actual height isn't really a factor beyond higher resistance due to longer tubing.

if you say that a canister filter has no true head height. so if i make this filter the water will flow to the filter placed under the aquarium and will it also be pumped back upwards to the aquarium without any problems. well to minimize the resistance can i use tubing with larger diameter for the filter.

if you say that a canister filter has no true head height. so if i make this filter the water will flow to the filter placed under the aquarium and will it also be pumped back upwards to the aquarium without any problems.

Yes, that's how normal canister filters work. If you prime a new filter with suction, the entire thing will fill by itself and the water will come up to the level of the water in the tank purely by gravity.

well to minimize the resistance can i use tubing with larger diameter for the filter.

You can do this if you want. I think the decision whether to use 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4" would mostly come down to how much flow you're targeting. I would model this off of traditional filters if I were doing it.

Back
Top Bottom