Powerhead question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would go with at least a MJ-900 and one of the MJ-1200. IME, the 4&600 models are not large enough for your tank volume. I do not use the venturi feature on the powerheads, but they do not need an air pump to work. They suck in air (if you have the tubing accessories attached) by the force of the water movement through the narrow outlet.

binaryterror said:
So your saying to get an MJ-900 and an MJ-1200? Wont 2 MJ-900's be enough?

Yep, at the very least. I actually agree with lando and would get the 2x1200's.

I would place them both in the back corners pointed toward the middle front with at least one directed towards the surface (not straight up!) to create surface disturbance (and the resulting oxygen transfer). The other one can be directed similarly or more towards the middle. The two currents should somewhat meet in the front and "bounce" off each other with sort of random currents through the rest of the tank. You may need a 3rd small powerhead to have more random colliding eliminate any dead spots.

No, in general you don't want your corals receiving the blunt force of the ph flow...I believe that's called laminar flow? Most corals like random, chaotic flow...some strong, some not so strong.

Wait! If you haven't ordered it yet, look on ebay. We were just talking in another thread. copy and past the line below into the search box on the ebay home page. This one i much less expensive and is a six-stage as opposed to a four-stage. I have it, it's easy to hook up and it works well.

USA 110GPD RO+DI REVERSE OSMOSIS water purification

I wanted to try pasting the link to see if it works, okay, it doesn't, but it does work if you copy and past the entire link into your browsers address line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-110GPD-RO-DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-water-purification_W0QQitemZ7724744373QQcategoryZ20756QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

WOW! I want that. But I am going to have to somehow convince my dad to buy that for me for xmas now. It will be difficult. Any suggestions on what to say?

"Hey dad, I have a hobby that really interests me is teaching me things like hard work, responsibility, and budgeting my money wisely. The wild caught livestock though need pure water conditions to be healthy and I want to provide that right away. Peers on Aquarium Advice recommended this model and it is a great savings. Can you help me out, maybe even as an early Chistmas gift?"

I have a 60 gallon reef I'm just starting to set up, and I went for 5 powerheads. I set it up so that I had two MJ1200s in the top back corners aiming towards the opposite forward bottom corners, another MJ1200 in the back right corner aiming towards the surface for oxygen transfer, and two MJ900s in the bottom back corners to break up the dead spots along the rear of my tank. I am hoping that positioning rock and corals correctly will break up the flow for corals that don't want too much current, yet still provide lots of flow for corals that do. I was going to include a picture, but will spare you my skills with MS Paint.

As for the RO/DI I was going to get one but went for bottled RO water at a local water supplier. Their water tests out great and I can have loads instantly for dirt cheap as opposed to waiting for a few weeks for a unit to arrive in the mail.

HoopsGuru said:
"Hey dad, I have a hobby that really interests me is teaching me things like hard work, responsibility, and budgeting my money wisely. The wild caught livestock though need pure water conditions to be healthy and I want to provide that right away. Peers on Aquarium Advice recommended this model and it is a great savings. Can you help me out, maybe even as an early Chistmas gift?"

:D I am going to write it down on a piece of paper and tell him those exacts words!!! You are THE MAN!!! :D

I just tried it on my dad. He just laughed and said I kicked you out 12 years ago. Get a life. :? Thanks for nothing Hoops :D

Sorry Brendon!

BinaryTerror, write it in a letter, kind of a Christmas wish letter. Make it really mushy and tell him you want it for Christmas and your birthday so that's only about $50 each present, better yet, tell him to ask another family memeber to combine gifts. Tell him that's all you want and if he gets you anything else you'll donate it to charity (just kidding, I'm just in such a silly mood at 7:30 in the morning online when my cat woke me up on my only day to sleep in! Where is that damned cat!)

Back
Top Bottom