PowerHead questions:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamerTheresa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I use to have Penguin PH but it killed a baby clownfish so I immediately took it out and now I just use it for mixing sw.

Used them for 8+ years and never had anything get stuck and my yellow tail chromis (1.5") easily avoided it.

IMO any healthy fish should be able to avoid it but as Scott mentioned there are other PH that produce a wide stream of flow (the suction isn't as strong) so it might be worth swapping out. If you put a sponge over the intake make sure you rinse it weekly to keep waste from fouling your tank.

DreamerTheresa said:
We have had TWO fish die on these getting caught on the intake. One chromis, and our flame angel fish.

Are you sure the fish did not die for some reason and then end up stuck on the powerhead intake?

Leaf said:
DreamerTheresa said:
We have had TWO fish die on these getting caught on the intake. One chromis, and our flame angel fish.

Are you sure the fish did not die for some reason and then end up stuck on the powerhead intake?

Certain, as once found, each time there was a mad scramble to unplug the PH, and then the fish would live for a few hours trying to swim around before dying.

I agree, usually healthy fish are able to swim away. What are you water parameters?

At the time of deaths, perfect.

No ates/ites, ammonia, our ph stays 8.2-8.3. It's been a month and a half since we've had a loss.

...and I don't know anyone around here who does necropsies on fish. :p

We're not going to get any more fish until the lighting gets upgraded and we get some more sand/rock. Phosphates are currently up (though it could still be partially because most of the water in the tank is still treated tap water- at the end of the month, we're moving, so we'll have to do a big ol' RODI water change. Hopefully that will help.), and we're still battling cyano. BLAH.

I'd just put a sponge on there. I have them on mine and swap them out every other week. Water parameters are perfect. I've also seen people cut a bioball in half and stick it over the intake. That seems to work too and doesn't trap as much gunk.

Back
Top Bottom