Powerhead recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TDWagner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have advice regarding powerhead brands? Which is best in your experience?

Depends on the application..but I really like using the mag pumps and a spraybar. One pump, flow everywhere and no intakes for critters to get sucked into if you use the sponge filter on it.

If you just need circulation, a Maxi-Jet is the cadillac of power heads.

If you need a real pump, Mag pumps are good, but a little pricey.

Aquaclear powerheads move more water than maxi-jets. The quick filter attachments are also great for clearing the water after stirring up a load of debris, like when siphoning the gravel. They aren't so good for long-term use, they clog quickly. I have several that I substituted sponges for the quick filter insert for bio-filtration. They also work well with Hydro-Sponge filters.

Well I have a Whisper 30-60, it does the job for my 29 gallon. But I ask people about which the best, and most of them said Aquaclear. They clear the water alot better then mine could thats for sure. I believe the water passes through the bottom and works its way up and out, while going through 3 types of filtering. As soon as I get my other pay check I'm getting one myself. Aquaclear is a very good power filter.

fishylittlenemo said:
Well I have a Whisper 30-60, it does the job for my 29 gallon. But I ask people about which the best, and most of them said Aquaclear. They clear the water alot better then mine could thats for sure. I believe the water passes through the bottom and works its way up and out, while going through 3 types of filtering. As soon as I get my other pay check I'm getting one myself. Aquaclear is a very good power filter.

Powerfilter = HOB filter
Powerhead = completely different

but for the record, yeah, AC powerfilters are the bomb. Maxijet can't be beat for performance/reliability on the powerhead side tho.

Back
Top Bottom