Powerhead vs Whisper filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am wondering if a powerhead filter will generate more of a water flow than the whisper filters I use.

I have an undergravel filter in my 10 gallon tank but my air pump filter isn't working well so I have been considering a powerhead since it looks like it would fit on the top of the large tube in that tank. My concern is that I don't want a strong current in that tank since I use it for breeding, but I do need some replenishment of oxygen and water movement for when there are lots of fish in the tank.

Could I use a powerhead in this tank? Can they water flow be adjusted similar to how a whisper filter can be adjusted?

A powerhead on a UGF, even a small one, will cause a very strong current in a ten gallon tank. With a breeder tank I would remove the UGF and substrate and run a whisper with a sponge on the inlet to keep from sucking up the babies.

That was one of the reasons I hadn't tried to put a whisper filter on the 10 gallon tank. The baby fish would get sucked up. The reason I asked about the powerhead is that there isn't room to put a whisper behind the tank so I was hoping for a solution that would stay mostly inside the tank.

Many powerheads have variable flow via a little lever on the intake side of the pump. Forgot about that. Put a small powerhead on the uptake tube and throttle the PH down till you are happy with it.

why not just a sponge filter in a breeder tank ? That's all i use & it seems to have worked out great for me for 10 yrs or more.....Rich

I vote for the sponge filter. That's all I ever used in my cory breeder tanks and they worked fine. The fry will feed off the sponge once the filter is established.
Logan J

in comment to...

Put a small powerhead on the uptake tube and throttle the PH down till you are happy with it.

You'd almost think he was talking about his Harley, using words like throttle and all. LOL

That or beating the hell out of it with his fists!!!!!!!!!
muahahahaahah

I vote sponge also , bred guppies and thats what I used with no gravel in the tank for easy cleaning. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom