powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcarlson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked up a free aquaclear 802 powerhead.My question;Is it used for undergravel filters or can I use it to aid with water circulation and movement only.It also can be used as a filter too_Or should i go with 2x maxi jet 1200.Whats your theory on this.I tested it in my 75 gallon fresh and it kicks butt.It may be too stong of a current.

Maxijets are good powerheads. All powerheads are useable for circulation, usualy by detaching a few parts/attaching the strainer. I don't argue with free.

My main question is will it be ok for a 55 gallon salt for movement.Or will it be too much.It really is blowing my plants around in the 75 gallon fresh.The fish love it.lol

You want at least 10x water turnover per hour, that powerhead puts out ~400gph from what I can tell, so its a good start :)

I'm running a Seio M620 with a maxijet 1200 plus the sump return (I haven't figured out the GPH since adding the chiller to the return, but its dropped somewhat from the pumps rated 800hph)

Yea 400GPH.So with a 55 gallon i need to be around 550gph.Should i put a filter on that powerhead.They have an option for that.

You got a link to the wavemaker so I can take a look at it.
Matt a question,how long does your biowheel goes before changing filters

Back
Top Bottom