Powerheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to add a powerhead to my 29 gallon tank, so I'm looking for suggestions for one that will work well, is not too big (eye sore) and does a sufficient job of moving the water around and is not too costly.

Any suggestions?

brand new powerheads @ petsmart are about 20 bucks for a small one.

Talking about a piece of trash. I bought a Rio once that lasted about 2 months.

Like the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".

marineland makes a nice one. penguin (i forgot the model number).

I had bought 4 Rio's once, and all 4 were loud. I would hold them in the tank, and were virtually silent, but when you get the suction cups to within a half inch from the glass, you could hear a chatter. When stuck to the glass, I could hear the chatter on the other end of the house. And all 4 did the same thing. So I gave them away to a friend here, and warned him about the noise. But it doesn't bother him, lol.

So are powerheads really that popular? Just to have more current?

I have a 30 gal. with just a Penguin 200 and an 8" bubble wand in it, and just that makes too much current. I had to restrict the flow to the bubble wand to keep from freaking out the fish.

There good if you don't want a lot of current, or want to direct the current in a certain direction. I inject pressurized CO2 and the airstone makes too much current, which can send a lot of the CO2 into the air rather than keeping it into the water column.

I have an aquaclear 70 on my 29 gallon and I love it but it doesn't move the water around much at all and I love that about it, but stagnate water has caused some problems in my tank and I could really use a powerhead for the other side of my tank.

I like my AC HOB so I'll most likely go with an AC Powerhead.

Thanks for all your responses.

Linda

Ferret_Friend said:
Powerhead? Fill me in please.

No wonder I'm not familiar with it. I always buy filters that are more powerful than recommended for my tank, and they keep a nice slow steady current in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom