Powerheads for 75 gal FOWLR Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bheusmann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 75 gallon FOWLR setup. I don't have any powerheads, so I went out and bought 2 from my lfs . One is a Powersweep 228 (270/gph) and the other was a Powersweep 214 (160/gph). I placed them in the back corners of the tank pointing towards the center front of the glass. There was barely any circulation at all, I was very disappointed! My Rio 800 produced more circulation than both of these. I made sure they were both turned up for maximum "pumping" I guess. My return line produces More movement than both of these powerheads combined (which is attached to a Rio 2500).
I have heard a lot about the Maxi 1200's, but fear these won't be enough. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bryan

I have a 29 gallon and use 1 maxijet 1200. That is my main circulation because my return is weak. So for you 2 maxijet 1200s should be enough.

But since you have a FO setup you don't need too much circulation. Unless you plan on having corals later.

I have the PowerSweep 228 and like the fact that it goes back and forth but it doesn’t hold a candle to either the Maxi-Jet 1200 or Penguin 1140 Power Heads which both do around 300 gph.

I know the 228 says it does 270 but feel near the sides (at the socket) and you will notice that a lot of water escapes there so the actual gph coming out of the part that goes back and forth is closer to 200 or less gph IMO.

I almost returned my 228 but got it pretty cheaply on the net so didn’t want to bother with the shipping costs. If you got it from a lfs then I’d highly recommend getting your money back and either get the Maxi-Jet 1200 or Penguin 1140. I’ve had both for 8+ years now and they have preformed flawlessly and usually run less than half as much as the 228.

Also you can find both the Maxi-Jet 1200 & the Penguin 1140 much cheaper on the net than what your lfs will sell if for.

i would personally check out the seio line of power heads...

in your tank 2 seio 820's would be sufficent and provide a much wider blend of water movement then the mj1200

i went from a 75 g that used 4 mj's and replaced them with 2 seio 820's

mykpoz, I’ve read good and bad reviews on the sieo and while I like the price/gph you get out of them have you found yours to be pretty reliable? I know in the past the ceramic shaft would break and they clogged easily but from current reviews I’ve read they replace some components and are supposed to be more reliable. Also have you tried them on a controller? I hear that a controller is in the works for them but they say they shouldn’t be cycled on and off.

I’d love to replace my 4 ph with just a couple of seio ph but am still a little hesitant.

the seio's have been work horses.

I do not use a wave timer, as pointing them at each other gives me a nice random current... evident by the corals reactions. The controller issue (can probably issues that led to broken ceramic shafts) is the fact that people try to put them on timers or pulse electricity to them... (which in a house alternates, so the motor spends different ways... much like going 20 in a car, and trying to put it in reverse...) The type of wave timer you need with them is one that just lowers the % power that is fed to them, like ph one is at 100%, ph two is at 20%, then they switch... so that the power and direction of the spin never changes. Something along the lines of the Tunze Streams wave timer... I have heard of a DIY, that involved buying half of radio shack, but have yet to see any details. A controller is supposed to be out sometime soon, but they have been working on them forever.

I would also suggest like any other pump in any tank, that they need to have serviced, and service is a snap.

But for the money, I run the rish of sounding like the biggest fan of Seio, but they really are great.

One thing I remind anyone who looks at them... if you compair the stream that comes from the seio and a MJ, the MJ will feel stronger due to the narrow column of water is pushes.

Thanks so much for the detailed answer :D I am aware that they produce a wider stream of current and am looking forward to giving it a shot. (still laughing at the “buying half of Radio Shack” comment :lol:)

Thanks for the tips. I returned the 2 Powersweep's I got and bought 2 AquaClear 70's (400/gph). They are much better and I have a good amount of wave action and circulation. They were $49.99 each compared to the 228 costing $37.00 and the 214 costing $22.00.

Bryan

$49.99 (ouch) lfs ripped you off on the AquaClear 70 but they usually do :mad: At least you were able to walk out the door with them and are happy :)

tecwzrd said:
$49.99 (ouch) lfs ripped you off on the AquaClear 70 but they usually do :mad: At least you were able to walk out the door with them and are happy :)

I checked the online price of these pumps and their site says $27.99. I think I am going to visit them and have them fix the price I paid and get a refund!

Back
Top Bottom