Pre-drilled vs not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I put my monster in the paper yesterday (the 150) and I went into the lfs to get a quote on how much a new set up would be. Going in all I wanted was a standard glass tank, stand and hood. The lfs guy is pushing for me to get pre-drilled. Are these generally a lot more expensive than non drilled tanks? I didn't end up getting the quote because he wanted to check with his distributer to see if the tanks were on sale this month. They were supposed to call me back yesterday but didn't :evil: Has anyone had any real problems with leaks?

No leaks. My stepfather broke off one of the adjustment knobs... that was pretty exciting. :)

Other than that, if you seal everything and clamp it just to make sure -- should leak about as often as anything else in your house. ;)

Drilled is the way to go... Either have them come drilled or do it yourself or have a glass dealer drill them. Remember that if you want to drill it you will need to make sure the glass is not tempered. Most new tanks come with tempered bottoms so you can only drill the back or ends..

I have not had any leaks in my reef ready tank. It does add exspense but well worth it. It is so nice to be able to hide all of your equipment in the sump.

...and no tweaking stuff at the top of the tank - simply open cabinet, throw skimmer out the window... I mean adjust the micro bubbles ;) :evil:

Back
Top Bottom