Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pre-Filter box attachment for AquaC

I have the HOB AquaC with the MaxiJet 1200 pump. I just added the pre-filter box. It seems since I added this box the skimmer is not producing much foam. It hardly seems to be skimming at all. One thing I noticed is the intake to the pumb is very close to the dividing wall of the box. Could this be impeding the performance of the pump/skimmer? The return flow out of the skimmer seems to be the same as it was before I added the pre-filter box. On a briter note the box does skim off the surface very well, the surface of my water is very clean now and the bubble sponge works well at reducing the bubbles. Also I like having a media chamber since I am not running any other filter. I do think they could have designed the box to attach better then with the two screws that tighten into the side of the MJ1200. The box does not seem to be attached very securely. My box had a tilt to it after it was attach that I corrected by putiing two spare suction cups from the bracket of one of my other MaxiJets behind the box to move it out from the back glass a little.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
It hardly seems to be skimming at all. One thing I noticed is the intake to the pumb is very close to the dividing wall of the box. Could this be impeding the performance of the pump/skimmer?
I think so. Mine produces much less skimmate with the prefilter box on there. I stopped using it and it is now picking up much more again. It seems to slow it down around 50%. Anyway, I'm glad to know it's not just me...

Old 03-12-2005, 01:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well that stinks.....the write up on it says it is suppose to increase performance by 20% I guess I should not believe everything I read.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The performance increase wouold be due to the effect that the DOC's that would normally just sit on the surface of the water are being skimmed. I concur your thoughts on how the box attaches. WHen I got mine I was confused at how the box attached and duduced thats what the two screws where for.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I understand that it skims the DOC's off the top. My concern is since I have installed it I am getting much less foam. Granted I have had the skimmer for less then 3 weeks but since day one I was getting a good amount of foam in the collection cup each day. Now I hardly get any. Some days I get none. Could this mean my tank water is clean and there is not much to skim? I don't think this is the case as my Nitrates are close to 20. Oh well I will give it a few days and see how it goes.

Thanks all....

Mark
Old 03-22-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try without the box as I did, this will tell you which is pulling more out...
Old 03-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Isn't this disappointing? We had the same problem. Stopped using it after just 2 weeks. Our tank started turning green just after we add the preskimmer. We can't help but wonder if the reduction in skim matter was the beginning of our big problem. Wish I had know about this issue before I blew $29+ on it.
DJ
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just bought the Remora Pro with the Mag-Drive Pump and decided to get the prefilter (I also read the literature that said this would increase the performance of the unit 20%). Have not installed it. Has anyone out there had success with the prefilter box? Any lessons learned on how to get it to work best?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

well after some major tweeking and adjusting i have got mine working pretty well. My skimmer is producing foam every day again. it's just a real pain in the neck to adjust. Properly adjusted it does do a great job skimming the surface. My surface water is crystal clear now, and I have no other place to run carbon or other types of sponges if i wanted since I have no other filter or sump on my tank. Also you have to keep up with topping off your tank or you will risk your pump running dry...I still think my skimmer skimmed better without it.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #10

The box has oils on it from production and will cause the skimmer too act funny for a few weeks but should settle back to normal once it release everything. Another thing people do is shove the pump intake tigh up against the prefilter box. You want the pump intake as unrestricted as possible.

Tags
aquac, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com