Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have been shopping for aquariums for a few weeks now. I still dont fully understand how the predrilled tanks work. What is the difference between that and just buying an overflow and not drilling a tank?
I just want to know if it is worth it to buy one that is already drilled or just buy an overflow. Where do they even drill the holes? Any feedback will help.

sgc0286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
A predrilled ReefReady tank is the way to go. The "overflow box" is built in and the holes are drilled in the bottom of the tank for the drain line and return line. Plumbing and setting up a sump is alot easier with a predrilled tank. Your drain line and return lines are already under the stand waiting to be hooked up.

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

As usual I couldn't agree more with Larry. Get a pre-drilled tank. Most already have the overflow boxes and plumbing.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of the other differences: With an overflow you typically have to work harder to get the flow the first time because you have to empty the air out of the tube from the tank to the outside overflow (using a tube). Sometimes this also gets air pockets that limit the flow. Also, with an overflow you can't put the tank all the way against the wall, you have to leave room for the overflow.

I've never had a pre-drilled, only and overflow and I personally didn't like it. I ended up getting rid of that and went with a canister filter.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thank guys!
sgc0286 is offline   Reply With Quote

drilled, flow, led, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com