Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Prefilter Sponge

I've never used a prefilter sponge, but I recently read in differently places people talking about these. What are your thoughts? Should I use one? Why?

My filter is the AquaClear 50

Old 10-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just put a sponge on my intake so fry can't get sucked up. Is that the kind of prefilter you are talking about? I also use AC's on some of my tanks and have not used them.

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
I just put a sponge on my intake so fry can't get sucked up. Is that the kind of prefilter you are talking about? I also use AC's on some of my tanks and have not used them.
Yes. I was just wondering if they served any more useful of a purpose then to keep fry out if the filter.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes ..... use the fluval sponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyJ View Post
Yes. I was just wondering if they served any more useful of a purpose then to keep fry out if the filter.

I have a genuine fluval pre-filter sponge on my 29 gallon with Fluval C3. It is almost essential when using the fluval C series since, unlike the aquaclear, the entire polyfoam pad must be replaced and cannot be rinsed clean.

Fluval C series Poly/Foam Pad not reusable-sharing my experience

[In an aquaclear, you can of course put polishing pad or floss in the carbon chamger to get the same result.]

The fluval pre-filter sponge also fits on the AquaClear series. Bottom line is the sponge pre-filter lasts forever and is great because it:

1) keeps debris out of your filter reducing replacement of media.

2) builds its own colony of beneficial bacteria ..... thus you can rinse it in clean aquarium or distilled water at times that don't coincide with cleaning of your filter or replacement of media within your filter.

The pre-filter concept is great on my aqua-tech on my 38 gallon as well. I use a bio bag "casing" filled with floss so water in the "dirty water" chamber is pre-cleaned ..... which enables me to put seachem purigen and seachem matirx BEROFRE the water passes through the regular aqua-tech filter elements ... to which I also add 100 micron polishing pad.

Note: I plan to replace my 330 GPH aqua-tech on my 38 gallon with a fluval c3 + aquaclear 50 within the next few months.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
************** I have a genuine fluval pre-filter sponge on my 29 gallon with Fluval C3. It is almost essential when using the fluval C series since, unlike the aquaclear, the entire polyfoam pad must be replaced and cannot be rinsed clean. Fluval C series Poly/Foam Pad not reusable-sharing my experience [In an aquaclear, you can of course put polishing pad or floss in the carbon chamger to get the same result.] The fluval pre-filter sponge also fits on the AquaClear series. Bottom line is the sponge pre-filter lasts forever and is great because it: 1) keeps debris out of your filter reducing replacement of media. 2) builds its own colony of beneficial bacteria ..... thus you can rinse it in clean aquarium or distilled water at times that don't coincide with cleaning of your filter or replacement of media within your filter. The pre-filter concept is great on my aqua-tech on my 38 gallon as well. I use a bio bag "casing" filled with floss so water in the "dirty water" chamber is pre-cleaned ..... which enables me to put seachem purigen and seachem matirx BEROFRE the water passes through the regular aqua-tech filter elements ... to which I also add 100 micron polishing pad. Note: I plan to replace my 330 GPH aqua-tech on my 38 gallon with a fluval c3 + aquaclear 50 within the next few months.
. Thank you for the helpful response.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com