pressure from RO/DI causes leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have tried at two separate locations: bathroom and kitchen. the back up pressure from the Coralife RO/DI 55GPD unit is causing leaks in the pipes even though when normal use of the faucet doesn't have this problem. anyone in my shoes? or any recommendations?

what psi are you running the unit at? at 60 psi you really shouldn't be experiencing enough back pressure to cause leaks. even more, my auto-shutoff requires pressure build-up to turn off the supply, this is roughly 100psi and I still don't experience leaks.

what psi are you running the unit at? at 60 psi you really shouldn't be experiencing enough back pressure to cause leaks. even more, my auto-shutoff requires pressure build-up to turn off the supply, this is roughly 100psi and I still don't experience leaks.

the thing is that under normal conditions, i don't see any leak (like when i'm brushing my teeth). but as soon as i put the rodi unit on, it starts to drip from the cold water faucet underneath the bathroom counter. i don't have a pressure gauge, so i'm not sure what psi it's under. but the bottom line is that could the seals on the faucet be broken if enough pressure is build in? should i wrap the connections with teflon tape to make sure the connections are good?

I mean they could but id either get a pressure gauge on the rodi unit. you don't want to run these units at higher pressures for extended periods of time.

so i was finally able to get something going with this issue due to the Thanksgiving break. while taking things apart, i noticed that the faucet where the water is coming out of doesn't have a rubber o-ring. this coincides with the leaking area. could the lack of o-ring cause some leak?

ps. you can tell i'm a noob when it comes to plumbing. i have no idea what an o-ring is or what it actually does.

most def. what it does is it seals the pipe and keeps it from leaking. id say whats happening is that during normal use, theres not a lot of backpressure on the o-ring, so it doesnt leak. but when you connect the rodi unit and turn it on, it creates enough backpressure to actually leak.

most def. what it does is it seals the pipe and keeps it from leaking. id say whats happening is that during normal use, theres not a lot of backpressure on the o-ring, so it doesnt leak. but when you connect the rodi unit and turn it on, it creates enough backpressure to actually leak.

great thanks. i will install an o-ring today and see how far it takes me

yes. there cant be any folding, overlapping or anything like that. it should take a bit of wiggling to get it seated but if its any harder than that, its not the right size

Back
Top Bottom