Pressure rated pumps....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey gang! I need some help. I need 2 pumps that can move water straight up 7 feet and horizontal 10 feet before going back down 7 feet. I've never really looked into these kinds of pumps but I know they are out there and need some ideas. Please help!! Thanks for your help!!!

Where is the sump located that it needs to go up and down again like that? I would imagine the bubbles caused by such a downward force would be pretty extreme.

As for pumps there are a couple of options but gph needed would give you better answers.

This is actually a complicated setup I'm looking into. I'm not sure if it is going to work. I'm not so concerned with the GPH or the bubbles as I can compensate for both. I'll detail it in another post....I can't explain it right now my son is acting up....lol...

A mag 12 pump will give you around 700-800 gph with the head pressure against it.

bestnest.com has a ton of other options in the 900-1400 gph range and lists the head pressure for each one.

Also checkout marineandreef.com for a good overview of what to look for and also some other pump brands.

Ok...here is what I am wanting to do. I have several tanks. Most of which are FW and I've been given permission by my wife to cut a hole in our living room wall and put a new SW tank in it. (how excited do you think I am?) So heres the deal. I'm getting a 75g (unless I can get ahold of a 90 or 120 that is 4' long) and that is what is going where I currently have a 55g FW tank. The difference being I'm going to have a hole in the wall where the back of the 55 is for the new tank to show through into the living room. I custom built a wall type stand that has the 55 and 2 10s on it. Anyway that face the 72g reef tank I have. So basically I have a hall of fish. What I need the pumps for is to move water out of the sump that will be under the new tank over to the 72g tanks sump and skimmer and then pump it back over to the new tanks sump so it can circulate in that tank. These 2 pumps will share the water between the tanks but not acutally be part of the "flow" of either tank. I would do it below the tanks but the problem is I'm on a slab here and can't cut into it to run plumbing so I have to go above the tanks and across the celing and over to the other tank. A total run of about 20 feet including the up and down distance.

So..that is why I need a pump that can go straight up 7 feet and still have enough to get the water over 10 feet and allow it to fall back down about 7 feet....

This of course is still up in the air but I would like to combine the systems because of the large fuge I have on the exsisting tank and the enourous skimmer I have for it.....more to come but need suggestions and ideas! Thanks

The only warning I can say (and you have probably thought of it) with combining two systems, that share the same water, is if you have an outbreak of disease, both tanks can/will become infected.

Yeah...I've considered that as well...and I will I think for now take that chance...The way I have this envisioned each tank will be able to operate independent of the other and also work together. So if something happens I could stop the sharing system...I need to put somethings on paper and figure some things out....someone on here is bound to tell me that I will never be able to keep a stable water level between the sumps but I have that figured out too ;).....scary what comes to me at night when I'm supposed to be dreaming....

Off to another LFS.....picked up a couple small corals at BRK today...I wanted a bunch but I fought the temptation....

If you check the specs of most pumps big enough for what I think you mean, the gph will be listed along with the "head" or verticle distance it will pump. For example, 350 gph at 6 ft head. Often you will find various gphs at different head heights. May have to go to the manufacturer for this, though. With a bit of digging you should find what you need.

BTW, most pond pumps seem to be designed with pumping a verticle distance greater than aquarium pumps. They can be louder, if that is an issue.

HTH :D

Thanks..hadn't thought about the pond pumps...I'm planning on these pumps being plumbed inline not submereged....

I bought 2 of them and just got them the other day. Now I'm ready to start building my stands, and then mounting the pump, CO2 reactor, heater, etc. Can't wait til I get the lumber now, I got all my tools in.

Two thoughts:

On pumps in general, as the one LWB listed, you will not get max. GPM at max. head. I wish they had a little more info on that pump. They did not show what gpm is at max head unless I missed it.

The other thought is to not limit yourself to aquarium supply places. I think sometimes we pay a little more for things when they are labeled as use in an aquarium.

Any pumps gph at max head is 0 gph or as most pumps list it as shutoff meaning it doesn't have the pressure to pump it beyond that head height.

That pump drops off 68 gph with a 4ft head and probably double that with a 8 ft head so it should produce around 600-650 gph with a 7ft vertical/10 ft horizontal application. Obviously vertical pumping is going to put more pressure against a pump than horizontal but 10 ft of pipe is going to add 1-2 head height pressure as well.

reefs.org has some great reading on pumps as well.

That is true Tecwzrd...I'm still up in the air on what I'm going to do exactly......Thanks for the info!!

I agree with you Sparky that we do pay more because it says aquarium or pond use....;)

Back
Top Bottom