Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Pressure rated pumps....

Hey gang! I need some help. I need 2 pumps that can move water straight up 7 feet and horizontal 10 feet before going back down 7 feet. I've never really looked into these kinds of pumps but I know they are out there and need some ideas. Please help!! Thanks for your help!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Where is the sump located that it needs to go up and down again like that? I would imagine the bubbles caused by such a downward force would be pretty extreme.

As for pumps there are a couple of options but gph needed would give you better answers.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This is actually a complicated setup I'm looking into. I'm not sure if it is going to work. I'm not so concerned with the GPH or the bubbles as I can compensate for both. I'll detail it in another post....I can't explain it right now my son is acting up....lol...
Old 04-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
A mag 12 pump will give you around 700-800 gph with the head pressure against it.

bestnest.com has a ton of other options in the 900-1400 gph range and lists the head pressure for each one.

Also checkout marineandreef.com for a good overview of what to look for and also some other pump brands.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok...here is what I am wanting to do. I have several tanks. Most of which are FW and I've been given permission by my wife to cut a hole in our living room wall and put a new SW tank in it. (how excited do you think I am?) So heres the deal. I'm getting a 75g (unless I can get ahold of a 90 or 120 that is 4' long) and that is what is going where I currently have a 55g FW tank. The difference being I'm going to have a hole in the wall where the back of the 55 is for the new tank to show through into the living room. I custom built a wall type stand that has the 55 and 2 10s on it. Anyway that face the 72g reef tank I have. So basically I have a hall of fish. What I need the pumps for is to move water out of the sump that will be under the new tank over to the 72g tanks sump and skimmer and then pump it back over to the new tanks sump so it can circulate in that tank. These 2 pumps will share the water between the tanks but not acutally be part of the "flow" of either tank. I would do it below the tanks but the problem is I'm on a slab here and can't cut into it to run plumbing so I have to go above the tanks and across the celing and over to the other tank. A total run of about 20 feet including the up and down distance.

So..that is why I need a pump that can go straight up 7 feet and still have enough to get the water over 10 feet and allow it to fall back down about 7 feet....

This of course is still up in the air but I would like to combine the systems because of the large fuge I have on the exsisting tank and the enourous skimmer I have for it.....more to come but need suggestions and ideas! Thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
The only warning I can say (and you have probably thought of it) with combining two systems, that share the same water, is if you have an outbreak of disease, both tanks can/will become infected.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah...I've considered that as well...and I will I think for now take that chance...The way I have this envisioned each tank will be able to operate independent of the other and also work together. So if something happens I could stop the sharing system...I need to put somethings on paper and figure some things out....someone on here is bound to tell me that I will never be able to keep a stable water level between the sumps but I have that figured out too .....scary what comes to me at night when I'm supposed to be dreaming....

Off to another LFS.....picked up a couple small corals at BRK today...I wanted a bunch but I fought the temptation....
Old 04-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you check the specs of most pumps big enough for what I think you mean, the gph will be listed along with the "head" or verticle distance it will pump. For example, 350 gph at 6 ft head. Often you will find various gphs at different head heights. May have to go to the manufacturer for this, though. With a bit of digging you should find what you need.

BTW, most pond pumps seem to be designed with pumping a verticle distance greater than aquarium pumps. They can be louder, if that is an issue.

HTH
Old 04-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks..hadn't thought about the pond pumps...I'm planning on these pumps being plumbed inline not submereged....
Old 04-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Something like this may work as well. Max head is 20ft.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...essurepump790p

Tags
pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com