Pressurized Co2 Equipment help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueiz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I was going to name this pressurized co2 set up for dummies, but.. :D

I have been looking for a picture diagram of how my co2 system will fit together, ex: how the hoses attach, where the needle valve and check valve goes, etc. I also need to know what size tubing I should be using, what size needle valve I need, etc. I do not know the size of the output on my regulator, I can easily figure this out, however what I need to now is what size i need to reduce the outlet to to attach the tubing.

Hopefully this post isn't confusing, can anyone help me with this?

Ok, I officially have a headache from trying to get together the stuff I need. So far I have come up with this stuff to purchase from here

bubble counter, ck valve, needle valve package and co2 tubing.

From what I understand, I will be running a line off the co2 tank, attaching the needle valve, then a check valve, the bubble counter, and another check valve. Then I will run my line to my reactor. I am seriously contemplating ordering the solenoid valve from Rex as well. Im assuming this will be attached somehwere at the regulator.

Does this sound right?

Blue
My regulator screws onto the CO2 tank first, then the solenoid valve, then the bubble counter. At the top of the bubble counter, there is a compression fitting that your CO2 tubing attaches too.
There is a washer between the regulator and the CO2 tank. The ones I use are white nylon and have to be replaced every time you remove the regulator. There are some brass washers that don't need to be replaced at all.
Rex Grigg's website has a wealth of information:
Welcome to Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks
Also Orlando at Green Leaf is helpful:
Planted Aquarium Products | CO2 Regulator | Green Leaf Aquariums
Be sure to use soapy water and checck for leaks after it's started.
I also have a Milwauke pH monitor/probe that turns the solenoid on and off.
I have it hooked in with the light timer so CO2 is not injected when lights are out.
Good luck
Charles

Thanks.. Yeah, I should have said the regulator on the co2 tank..lol. It would be really nice if there was an instruction manual for this. May be a good idea for an article.

Here are some more specifics on what information I am looking for.

I will be purchasing the inline fabco nv55 needle valve, the clippard solenoid valve, rex's bubble counter, and two brass check valves (rg reccomends one before and after the bubble counter).

If I understand this all correctly, these are the steps to follow.

1. I get an adapter to put the solenoid directly onto the regulator.
2. From there I run a piece of tubing and install the inline needle valve.
3. I then put a piece of tubing on the needle valve
4. Install a check valve, add another piece of tubing
5. Install the the bubble counter, add another piece of tubing
6. Install the second check valve,
7. Run a piece of tubing to my reactor.

Does this sound right?

most people buy the all in one so there really isnt a problem.

the solenoids i have seen dont out put to a tube. from the regulator you use a reducer then solenoid then needle valve screws into the solenoid.

Concerning the needle valve, that is how I have seen every set up that I have looked at. I guess I'll have to look at it when I get it to see if I can do that, gotta order it first..lol

If I didn't already have this regulator I sure would be buying the all in one..lol.

Concerning the needle valve, that is how I have seen every set up that I have looked at. I guess I'll have to look at it when I get it to see if I can do that, gotta order it first..lol

If I didn't already have this regulator I sure would be buying the all in one..lol.

Blue,
Have you “talked” to Orlando at Green Leaf?
He could put together a setup that seems much friendlier.
He’s a great guy.
Charles

Im thinking of ordering this, looks like all I would need is a needle valve. This would be less expensive than trying to piece together what I have. What do y'all think?

Also, this seems to be a really good price, even with shipping, for a 10 pound tank, thoughts? I will probably be ordering this today. My local airgas facility said it would fill it for 11 dollars.

Blue

I’m sure you mean you’re ordering the 10 lb bottle to go with a regulator, solenoid in addition to a needle valve.
Mgamer is right. Most ppl buy a complete setup. It’s easier and everything fits without a fuss.
One thing I’d like to change on my Milwaukees system is to add a manifold and pipe Co2 to several different aquariums. I’d use the cheap black tubing that Home Depot sells for evaporative coolers. Then I’d pipe it through the attic and down inside the walls to the different tanks.
The 10 lb bottle is a wise choice. I have one also, filled it last spring and it’s still half full. I use it on my 46 tank.
Charles

I would go with the 2nd one. You'll still need the check valve(s), diffuser, and tubing though, but atleast the regulator would be ready to go. You can buy tubing where you buy the check valves. :)

I personally use only one check valve and have had no issues with just the one. I diffuse the co2 with a powerhead in one of my tanks.

I just ordered the 10 pound aluminum tank for $72.99, the milwaukee regulator set up, and some other things. In total, the shipping charges were only ~17 dollars, I was really surprised by how low this was.

Now I just need to get a drop checker and a check valve. Thanks for the help so far!

Back
Top Bottom